gdm error after xfce with compositor (solved)

derxen

Hello all,

this seems to be an interesting problem, in so far as I haven't a clue as to what causes it, and a little googling hasn't turned up anyone who does. I was running xfce with the compositor enabled (on mandriva 2007), and after some problems where it wouldn't come back alive after a screensaver, it ran fine. Then today it won't get beyond the splash screen. The only thing I can find in the logs is a gdm error: 'error reinitilizing server'. The typo is in the log. Google turns up a few other desperate individuals who get the same log entry in different circumstances, but no one with an answer. Gnome (without 3d) works well. I have removed and reinstalled xfce, to no avail. Does anyone have any idea?

derxen

Edited by derxen

I'm still trying to solve this, and I've tried all I can think of: remove ~/config, where the xfce config files are kept, removing everything in ~/tmp, removing /tmp/ICE-unix and /tmp/X11-unix, reinstalling xfce, updating it to RC1, and a few other things. It shows the tips and tricks, and then just the mouse pointer, and the gdm background (but not the gdm login). All I can do then is ctrl-alt-backspace. xfce does start for other users.

Does anyone have any idea what else I might try?

derxen

If it's working for other users, see in your home directory for a hidden folder that relates to xfce. Then rename this to .old or something by adding this to the end of it, and try running again and see if it fixes the problem.

I was thinking of first it was something to do with gdm, and maybe removing and reinstalling would do the trick, but since it's working for the other users, it must be OK and something related to xfce or something.

Afaik, the only user files that xfce uses are those in ~/.config, and removing that did not help. Is there a chance this has anything to do with gconfd? Because every time i get the 'error reinitilizing server', right before that it says that gconfd is exiting.

derxen

There is some xfce stuff in ~/.cache on my system. I'm guessing but I think it caches some session settings in there

so perhaps deleting or moving those would help.

Thanks speedball, that did it. I removed ~/.cache, and it starts up now. I don't know what it was in ~/cache that caused it, but if I find out I'll let you know. It might have something to do with upgrading from xfce 4.2.

derxen

I think I've found the cause. In xfce there is an option 'save session for future login'. If I switch that off, there is no problem. If it's switched on, the problem described above occurs. In that case, both ~/.cache and ~/.config (or at least the file relating to that option) have to be removed for it to start again.

derxen