Is my second hard drive sbd or sdc?

emh

I have a SATA hard drive that I use to store my data on, connected to a SATA PCI card. However, sometimes Mandriva 2007 detects it as /dev/sdb, and sometimes it detects it as /dev/sdc. This means I have to manually change it in fstab every time I boot. How can I keep it consistently reading it as one or the other?

I also have a SCSI PCI card, which I believe is being read as /dev/sda (however, the only thing connected to it is a jaz drive that doesn't get used much)

Chances are the system is detecting another device, maybe a USB stick or your jaz drive and swapping them accordingly.

Suggest you disconnect any removable drives such as jaz, usb sticks, etc, and ensure that the only type of drives connected are the internal hard disks. That should provide you with stability that it will always be /dev/sdb.

The thing is, I didn't ever have this problem with Mandriva 2005 or 2006, and my drive set up never changed from 2005 to now. I don't have any USB drives or sticks in when I boot. It just sometimes boots my SATA drive as sdb, sometimes as sdc.

It would only do this if it finds another device. How many drives have you got? You mentioned the jaz drive? What does this appear as?

You *have* to disconnect it to troubleshoot and find out where the problem is. I have problems in 2007 that never happened to me in 10.0/10.1/LE2005 and 2006. So, just because the previous version worked, it's not going to be the same for the new version.

Unless you're willing to try what I suggested and disconnect the jaz drive, then I can't help you any further. We need to find out where the problem is.

It would only do this if it finds another device. How many drives have you got? You mentioned the jaz drive? What does this appear as?

You *have* to disconnect it to troubleshoot and find out where the problem is. I have problems in 2007 that never happened to me in 10.0/10.1/LE2005 and 2006. So, just because the previous version worked, it's not going to be the same for the new version.

Unless you're willing to try what I suggested and disconnect the jaz drive, then I can't help you any further. We need to find out where the problem is.

I was just wanting more information on why it would do this. You don't have to get snappy.

If it was switching between sdb and sdc without me changing drive configuration between boots, what difference would it make if I took the SCSI card out of the system? I would think it would then just switch between sda and sdb instead.

I'm just wondering what would cause the system to detect it differently every time, if there's a kernel bug, or what. I'm just requesting information, that's all.

Otherwise, I'll try taking the SCSI card out of my system when I get a chance.

You shouldn't need to take the scsi card out, just disconnect the jaz drive. Have you checked to see what the jaz drive gets shown as? Does this get shown as sdb? Or sdc sometimes?

I've had problems with usb sticks that get connected as /dev/sda and what not. Sometimes if left connected to the system, they wouldn't get detected at all. Other times they would be fine. Sometimes as different mount points if there was two or more connected.