burning brain Long post from bloke in dire need! (CD writer)

willisoften

Despite reconfiguring my system several times I'm still having bother with CD burning. I usually use Gnome toaster but things have been going badly so I've reverted to Nero. Things are still going badly!

I know that this is really a Linux forum but I'm hoping that some guru will take pity on me and give me new hope.

Simulations are all fine under Nero. Burning is terrible!

One or two slow burns have been OK I usually burn at about 16x - 24x but I can't get a successful burn at the moment any quicker than 8x.

The last burn at this speed is only readable in the CDRW drive it was made on my DVD ROM doesn't see it at all. The CDr doesn't look like it was burned at all.

I'm getting a succession of error messages:

Burn process started

Power calibration error

Invalid write state

Could not perform end track

Command Sequence error

could not perform fixation

// again

Command Sequence error

could not perform fixation

burning failed at 12x

//all from one burn!

It's driving me up the walls. I really need to back up my course work and I'm staring floppydom right in the face.

I've had a few suggestions and read a variety:

Power source inadequate to burn at high speeds? Seems unlikely.

Lens dirty?

Drive banjaxed? It's not even a year old.

Using ATA 133 ribbon cable instead of 40 pin IDE cable?

Promise controller problem?

Following Cannonfodders advice on an earlier post; I set this machine up the way it came from the shop when it was a basic XP box. XP on IDE 3 burner on IDE 1

DVD on 2. (Hence Linux drive is taking a rest :( )It worked then. The only thing that might be different are the BIOS settings. Should IDE 1 & 2 be left to detect the hard drive? Or since they are now attached to ROM drives should I set them to none?

I'm sorry to go on and on but I've been doing my head in for the last week. Ahead who publish Nero must be the most unhelpful company in the entire universe. Germans; huh! I'm gonna keep sending them the logs even after I get this sorted.

OK

Gigabyte GA -7DXR - onboard Promise Scsi/Raid/ATA100 controller providing 2 extra IDE channels (connect 8 devices allegedly)

Athlon XP 1700 +

Soundblaster Live 1024

Hercules 3D Prophet 11 GTS 64MB

512 MB DDR RAM

40GB ATA 33 Windows XP NTFS Hard Drive.

20GB ATA 100 Linux Hard Drive.

DVD ROM (Generic Grey possibly Artec)

CD_RW Acer 24x10x40

Zip Drive Atapi 250 MB

Aranged:

Linux (Boot Drive) IDE 1 Master

XP IDE 2 MASTER CDRW SLAVE

DVD ROM IDE 3 Master Zip Drive Slave

There were a number of reasons for this odd configuration:

Zip Drive attached to IDE 3 or 4 machine wouldn't boot though it was OK as a slave on the same channel. (Odd)

XP wouldn't write CDs if the CDRW was slaved to Linux. (copy on the fly)

The awkward position of the IDE controllers on the mobo and the length of IDE cables was also a factor!

Odd as it seems this configuration worked for me for over a year. I never had any trouble with it and at one time had another hard drive attached to IDE 4

Are you using the lastest Nero? Yes, then try uninstalling it, go through the registry and remove all references to Nero, and install the original CD or whatever. See fi that works. I kept doing updates and running into problems until I restored my Win2k and installed the original nero 5 CD I had. Then I left it there.. My problem originally was buffer underrun (or whatever) and really started when I played around with DVD burn features when I didn't have any DVD burners attached..

Also, I have an 8x burner and I usually burn at 6x

It has been mentioned in certain newsgroups that newer versions of Nero will not read older versions even if you are not using it to read a disk using Nero, possibly due one of the CLSID registry keys. This would happen particularly if you used a questionable copy of Nero. I was bitten once by this before my Linux days causing the loss of one CD. It has also been mentioned that current versions of Nero have additional piracy prevention built in such that questionable serial numbers allow the install bu do not allow the running of the program. Having not personally testing this, I cannot vouch for its authenticity.

Counterspy

I would try a different medium first just to be sure thats not most of the problems.

Are you sure the pins are set correctly on the back of the drives? I only ask this just to be sure.

I try to always keep the hard drives on the first ide channel. The cdroms, cdrws, and dvd drives on the second chanel.

If I'm putting in a zip drive I use the second channel but since you have extra ones I would put it on the forth channel. I would put the dvd drive by it self on the third channel.

Keeping drive types seperate usually keeps problems down.

Also some problems are noted when using certain cd disks. It seems that some of them always have problems working in anything other than the drive that created it. (if it created it right in the first place.)

You could always "drop back and punt" . Basicly taking everything out and adding one thing at a time testing each time. First the hard drive you want as master/primary then the second hard drive. Then the cdrom drive you want as master on the second channel then the next (cdrw) as a slave on that channel. Then the dvd on the third channel as master. and the zip drive( if you have one) as master on the forth channel.

I've been through much of this before<G> All the drives seem to work where ever I put them, with the exception of the CD burner which only ever worked on either primary Master or Slave Secondary Master or Slave.

Everything is now on a seperate channel. CD writer on one.

I've tried the latest version of Nero and one of the older versions.

It's a legitimate serial number I bought 5.5 a while ago.

I've used the CDr's I'm currently using for at least a year but they do seem subtly different. Less golden in colour.

Ok I think the drive is busted. PC now consists of One hard drive and one cd writer.

Writing still fails. Doesn't matter if hard drive is Master and CD writer slave or Hard Drive is master on IDE Primary and CD writer is Master on secondary still fails.

I've also noticed that in My Computer the drive is recognised as CD Drive (D:)

I'm almost but not quite sure that it was originally recognised as CD-RW Drive (D:) or something like that.

Can some kind dual booting person with XP take a look and let me know?

New drive: All seems well.

Old drive had a one year RTB guarantee it was purchased on 20th February 2002.....

It just made it passed the deadline. ( I thought it was only 6 months old )

Cheap dirt.

My mother always said that if you bought it cheap you'd buy it twice.

She never mentioned the bit about buggering about for a week trying to get faulty rubbish to work.

Someone else said "The quality will be remebered long after the price is forgotten."

Many thanks to all who've replied to my many posts on this and the related Reconfiguring system topic. Your efforts are always appreciated.

Hopefull my new Plextor drive will give at least a couple of years of service.

Glad you figured it out. Sorry about the drive though.

I'm sorry about it too! I'm a mature student and could have done without the expense of a new drive. Someone said early on that I should change the media, but I've been using that kind for a while so I thought they were OK. They did in the end prove to be part of the problem, I wonder (as I've said somewhere else) if continually trying to use these disks damaged the drive?

A freind of mine reckons it's just the diode and thinks she can fix it. If she can get the part. It'll be interesting to see if she can.

The media: Intenso,

The discs used to be a golden green in colour now they are a pale yellowy silver. They're also noticeable thinner than they used to be. The edged of the discs are also pretty ragged.

Sounds like they changed disk manufacturers. Never count on a company being the actual makers of a product they sell. Especially in the computer buisiness.

If its the diode then you stand a good chance of getting a working cdrom back.

Good luck.