groups

Michel

I don't found a better place to post it...

When you start up Mandrake for the first time, you have maybe already 30 different groups and a user nobody I think(also root and the ones you created of course).

What is the use of this, they aren't anywhere used for files or directories. Can I just delete the groups I don't want?

By the way, I can't see my windowspartitions as users. I've read something that I just have to add my userid/groupid in fstab to make that possible...Is this correct?

Thanks

I don't found a better place to post it...

When you start up Mandrake for the first time, you have maybe already 30 different groups and a user nobody I think(also root and the ones you created of course).

What is the use of this, they aren't anywhere used for files or directories. Can I just delete the groups I don't want?

No, don't delete them. Infact, you also have a bunch of users which aren't real. Both groups and users are needed for some programs to perform several tasks because of the nature of unix. Just an example, the user apache and group apache are needed by the program apache in order to be able to create/modify/execute files. Also having an apache user/group will prevent the execution/editing/... of files not owned by apache

If you want to know which user is real and which is not, then you should know that 'real users' --In Mandrake-- use to have UIDs over 500 and the root user has an UID of 0, the rest, would have UIDs between 1 and 499 (AFAIK)

By the way, I can't see my windowspartitions as users. I've read something that I just have to add my userid/groupid in fstab to make that possible...Is this correct?

Thanks

here is my entry, use it as a template:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat user,exec,defaults,umask=0,rw 0 0

check fstab and mount man pages for details

HTH