Update Mandriva 2007 Free with packages from PPack

Guest bogey

Is it possible to update Mandriva 2007 Free or One with the additional packages from the Power Pack; I do have the Free DVD? If yes, are there How To's on how to do it?

I don't mind paying the money for the Powerpack, but I have read enough reviews about issues with Mandriva that I don't want to spend my money until I get see if it works on my computer.

I did install Mandriva 2007 Free; installation went fine but got a kernel panic error on startup so I haven't seen it work yet.

If FREE works for you, why would you need Powerpack? I believe, all free MDV applications shipped with PP are available from rpm repositories and can be added to FREE installation using urpmi. PP includes some nonfree stuff such as commercial drivers patched by Mandriva + short term support + Club membership. I found the last two (especially support) of no use. Hence there is no reason for spending money on the PP.

Well I haven't loaded FREE yet, I have the DVD but haven't loaded it yet. Mainly I am talking about DVD playback, MP3 support, Flash, type stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and install. I ran the live CD and Mandriva looked pretty nice and recognized all of my hardware. Was a little dissapointed that the installation didn't work, but that happens. Will see how FREE works.

You can get it all from the internet anyway, use the easyurpmi link at the top of this page after installing Mandriva Free.

The Powerpack is almost identical with some of the third party stuff like ati and nvidia drivers included on the disk and setup automatically. The Free one requires you to add the sources with easyurpmi, then you can install the rest. No differences other than this really.