Booting into Mandriva

arch38

Hi i have just installed Mandriva 2006 and im having a nightmare with it.

First problem is the Numlock will not go off so i can not use several keys on my laptop keyboard.

Second problem i have is when i login and type my password and hit enter all i get is arch@localhost ~1$

i havent got a clue what to do from here or what to type for it to boot into Linux.

Can any one help please

Thanks

Arch

Welcome aboard. :)

Could you give us some details on your hardware specs? It would surely help us to solve your problems.

Numlock: Your laptop should have a "Num" key. Press that key and numlock will be deactivated temporarily. For deactivating it constantly, launch the MCC (=Mandriva control center aka. "configure your computer"). If you don't have a graphical environmant, then log in as normal user, type "su" for becoming superuser/root, enter the password and type "mcc". A ncurses based menu should pop up. Go to the system section -> services and uncheck the numlock service (I hope you can access the services menu...).

If the MCC doesn't help you there, type as root

service numlock stop

for temporarily stopping the numlock service and also type

chkconfig numlock off

if you want to disable it permanently.

From what I see, I guess that your graphical display wasn't set up properly. Try to set it up running "XFdrake" from the command line, again as superuser. If you have problems setting up a working graphic display with the tool, try the default "vesa" driver for now and post which graphics card you have. If everything fails, we might need to take a look at the config file for your graphic card, but for now, try XFdrake.

Good luck.

There's a service named "numlock"- and yeah, I know, it exists only in Mandriva and no other distro, and it gets enabled by default even if you install on a laptop! It almost made me faint (cause I could not type properly anything!) the very first time I installed Mandriva on a laptop.

Simply open a root console, and

service numlock stop

and then you can completely disable that service through Mandriva Control Center (MCC).

Your linux is properly installed, if you are able to login successfully. Not getting a graphical environment means (probably) that your graphical environment configuration is not very good.

What happens if after login via your virtual terminal (with no GUI) you type in

startx

If you get some error messages, please copypaste them here EXACTLY as they appear.

Regards.

Edited by scarecrow

Thank you Scarecrow, your help is very much appreciated.

I will try what you have said now, but here is mu system details:

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Elitegroup Co. ECS G320 1.0

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

1.20 gigahertz IDTNehemiah

128 kilobyte primary memory cache

64 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Elitegroup Co. ref.NO:G320-yymmdd-OT-01-00-FF-FF$ 1.0

Bus Clock: 3331 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01

Drives Memory Modules c,d

35.19 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

26.16 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4244N [CD-ROM drive]

ST9402112A [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5PJ1QZ76, rev 3.04, SMART Status: Healthy 224 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 256 MB

Slot '1' is Empty

Slot '2' has 256 MB

Slot '3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 35.19 GB 26.16 GB free

Network Drives

None detected

Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

local user accounts last logon

Archie 29/10/2006 21:04:50 (admin)

local system accounts

Administrator never (admin)

Guest never

HelpAssistant never

SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account EPSON Stylus C60 Series on USB001

Controllers Display

Standard floppy disk controller

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

VIA Bus Master IDE Controller VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP [Display adapter]

Default Monitor

Digital Flat Panel (1024x768) [Monitor] (19.7"vis, January 2002)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (2x)

VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device

Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

Communications Other Devices

HSP56 MR [Modem]

D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter(rev.C)

Archie

Set up the system in XFdrake with the UniChrome graphics-chip. It should work. It worked on my lappy, too (also UniChrome chipset on an almost 100% identical ISSAM Smartbook 1000 C).

finally got a graphical interface now but i cant get this numlock off, i think its the numlock anyway, on my laptop its shaped as a lock with a number in it, but there are 2 other locks one has a letter in it which is obviously the caps lock. But when im in linux and i hit the numlock another comes on with a downward arrow in it, so im a bit confused, i just cant seem to get the one with the arrow to go off so i am limited to what keys i can use on the keyboard.

Any ideas

Archie

Press the blue Fn key at the lower left side and the blue NumLk/ScrLk key at the upper right side. This will disable Numlock. If you got into the system, launch the MCC, got to System -> Services, go to the checkbox for the Numlock service and uncheck its box. That should solve your problem.

Many thanks for Your help, ive got into kde, so im getting some where thanks to you, as for the numlock problem, i dont think its the numlock, when i tap the numlk/scrlk key a light that resembles a lockcomes on with a downward pointed arrow on it, the caps lock has a letter inside the pic of a lock, and the one that is stuck on has a number 1 in it. I would of thought this is the numlk button but it cant be, my laptop is a elitegroup g320.

archie

Hmm, on my lappy, the numlock has the 1, the caps-lock has the A and the last one... dunno what it is good for. Maybe I can find the old manual somewhere. :unsure:

Okay, I found it. The down arrow indicates that Scroll lock is active. Make sure to press the Fn key together with NumLk in order to deactivate Numlock.

Hi Artic, on mine in windows the downward arrow is the numlk, also in linux but i have a light on that resembles a lock with a number 1 in it i would of though this would of been the numlk, i tried pressing fr and the numlk but it still will not go off, its very frustrating, especially when i type and numbers come up, i cant seem to get it off..