Two Gnome processes constantly going zombie

scoonma

Hi all,

another problem on this system which I experienced more than once and constantly bugging me are two processes, which go zombie right after starting X.

The first is the "menu" process, started by /etc/X11/xinit.d/menu, second is "Mod_Meta_L_Disa"(ble), started from the same directory. The bug first occurred in MDV 2006, and I began to compile GNOME on my own to help this. However, the effort was no full success, but version 2007 went fine at the beginning.

Any tips for a workaround/fix on this one please?

If they aren't eating up system resources I would suggest leaving them be, they may be necessary processes that are spawned/part of some other program. In fact most of my research indicates that's what they are.

That was exactly the problem under some conditions, but difficult to track down. Some application/process was eating up memory, but the output of "top" didn't help me to identify the evildoer. So I was suspecting the "zombies". With the last cooker update, they seem to be gone.

But I wonder if the flaw is actually solved, as there's no process called "menu" at all now. Does it have to be like this with Gnome 2.16.1?

Anyway, thx for your info!

top isn't misleading. there are various ways to measure memory usage, because some processes will cache memory - so while not technically in use, it is holding data, although that data can be replaced as needed. So you end up with active RAM, and cached RAM. IIRC, top counts both of these in RAM usage.

Thanks, "pstree" got me at least somewhere! Both "menu" and "Mod_Meta_L_Disa"(ble) are started by gnome-session. I also found that the output of "top" in a shell is probably misleading. However, gnome-system-monitor shows the correct memory usage!

Regards,

scoonma

my bad. i got my process terminologies wrong. zombie processes are those that are waiting exit confirmation from the parent. i was thinking of orphaned processes :wall:

since gnome-session is the culprit, you migh want to check with the gnome issue list if this is a handling bug. it does not hurt (that much) but this is an issue nonetheless.

ciao!