mdv 2007 and the XFS filesystem

Just noticed this buried in the mdv 2007 errata:

XFS stability issues: XFS is currently not a recommended filesystem with kernel-2.6.17; updates should be available shortly after release to improve support for this filesystem. For now, we recommend you do not use it.

You won't see it listed in the outline errata page here:

http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main...Linux2007Errata

But it is there in the kernel subsection if you click on it. Just a heads up to everyone using xfs as this is filesystem corruption bug in the 2.6.17 kernel from what I can find doing a little googling; you could lose all your data on xfs partitions. Hopefully, a kernel patch correcting this problem will be out soon. For now, I would not mount any xfs partitions with mdv 2007.

Nice to know, thanks for the heads up on that. I used to use xfs partitions when I first installed Mandrake/Mandriva. But changed to reiserfs later, when I found that xfs was really only good when used for large files such as multimedia type machines with mpegs and what not.

reiserfs seemed to be a good compromise between small/large files, as I found my system to perform better then, than going with xfs.

Think I'll hold back from using any xfs partitions for the foreseable future, as chances are this might affect other distros too.

Or it's sufficient to say "patches used in Mandriva kernel broke XFS filesystem support"... huh (again)?

You would have to research it, but from what I can gather, it's definitely a kernel bug, not a mandriva kernel patch bug. I don't know how serious it is or how likely you are to have problems with it. Here's a fuller discussion of the issue from the creators of xfs, SGI:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#dir2