2007 DVD - could not mount compressed loopback

Guest Magick

Hi people

I am a linux newbie trying to install Mandriva 2007 Fee edition onto a Compaq Evo.

When I do I get the following error:

could not mount compressed loopback :(

Anyone know how I can fix this?

BTW: I did a md5sum check on the iso after downloading, and although I havent tried the disc on another computer I dont think there is anything wrong with the integrity

Hi Magick,

welcome to this wonderful place! :-)

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by a "compressed" loopback. Are you trying to mount the ".iso" file you downloaded using the loopback device (which would make sense - somehow)? Is it a DVD or a CD version?

Anyhow, I'd call an updating attempt to a system which has the source data lying in one of the partitions which shall be updated, well at least spirited. You normally go safe burning the data to a disc and install from that medium. If you didn't try to install a freshly burnt DVD using a mere CD reading device, it should work.

If you can rule out these conditions, I'd guess there's a problem mounting the initial ramdisk. However, most times you cannot alter data once written on DVD or CD, and it would not make much sense if the ramdisk image were broken. So if a second attempt with a different CD/DVD fails, too (provided the md5 sum of the burnt medium is identical to the ISO image residing on the server you downloaded from), it's more serious. There has been an issue of CD drives (from LG) not working correctly under Linux some time ago. If you had such a drive you had to wait for a firmware update. But such is rare for CD/DVD-ROMS as far as I know. Problems with Win-modems or Win-printers are more common. You could try your medium on a different system or change the reading device of your Compaq (maybe borrow a reader from a friend just for install time). I'm sure you're able to find out the reason - or at least get it working.

Good luck!

scoonma