Did I install wrong?

Guest winton

:wall: I have 1 hard drive and i installed Windows XP first, then i installed PClinux with a swap and home plus a /

Okay then i installed Mandriva 2007 andputin a / -another swap and another /home .i put the bootloader on the /.

Everything works, but my question is : Should i have installed another swap in the mandriva or would i have been okay with just a /

In other words is it necessary to install a swap for each distro i install? I read where others just do 1 swap and home for the first distro and then just do a / for the following distros.

I am new to linux. :P

[moved to installing mandriva from everything linux - tyme]

if you don't suspend to disk in one distro, and then try to boot another, one swap is enough

Please explain as i am just learning and do not know all or any of your terms. (suspend to disk in one distro)

one home will be enough provided you don't use usernames common to both.

I use same user names and same passwords in both.

Am i wrong in doing that, or if i understand you right then its okay as i installed swap for each distro.

Sorry for all the questions i just want to learn to do it right.

Thanks

Please explain as i am just learning and do not know all or any of your terms. (suspend to disk in one distro)

if you Hibernate (or "suspend to disk") your data in the memory will be written to the swap, and then your computer will turn off. When you start it again you can choose another OS or distro.

If you boot to the same distro you suspended from, everything will go fine.

But if you choose another distro, which is using the same swap, it will find the saved image in the swap and try to boot from it, but when it's components and/or kernel is not the same as the other distro used, the system probably will crash.

I'm dual-booting 2 distros with the same swap, everything goes fine, but once I forgot I had hibernated and tried to boot the other distro, and the system crashed.