Firefox-2.0rc3

Lando

Firefox-2 with flashplayer installed crashes in Mandriva 2007 (and it works fine in Mandriva 2006 ).

[lando@localhost firefox]$ ./firefox --sync

The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.

(Details: serial 120 error_code 8 request_code 146 minor_code 3)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Someone knows this problem ?

Many thanks.

Certainly not here... and I have used both the old 7.X plugin as well as the new 9 beta one.

Firefox 2.0 RC3 built from source on an up-to-date ArchLinux installation, with the 9 beta flashplugin- no crashes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if RC3 made it to 2.0 final without any significant change- myself cannot find any faults.

The new flashplugin looks working well with Opera 9.02 as well- but I've not sufficientlytested it yet.

Certainly not here... and I have used both the old 7.X plugin as well as the new 9 beta one.

Firefox 2.0 RC3 built from source on an up-to-date ArchLinux installation, with the 9 beta flashplugin- no crashes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if RC3 made it to 2.0 final without any significant change- myself cannot find any faults.

The new flashplugin looks working well with Opera 9.02 as well- but I've not sufficientlytested it yet.

Both plugins 7.x and 9 beta do crash FF2...but only with Mandriva 2007 and not with

Mandriva 2006 !!!!!!!!!

Building FF from source in Mandriva environment could be a problem ..........?

You will need many devel packages installed, as well as several patches.

However, I doubt it will help you, as I untarred a static build on my /home directory, moved the old user profile, put in the flashplugin and it works mighty well.

Does your firefox start properly in safe mode? If it does, I think you should start it with flash enabled and using a new user profile- something in the old settings/extensions is making FF crash.

You will need many devel packages installed, as well as several patches.

However, I doubt it will help you, as I untarred a static build on my /home directory, moved the old user profile, put in the flashplugin and it works mighty well.

Does your firefox start properly in safe mode? If it does, I think you should start it with flash enabled and using a new user profile- something in the old settings/extensions is making FF crash.

...and how is it that a generic FF in executable form (downloaded as tar.bz )...usually works fine , without patches ?

Edited by Lando

Guest flummoxed

Lando,

Just to clarify my own experience:

Fresh RC, Branch and Trunk Nightly builds (from Mozilla) with a new profile only crash when either Flash 7 or 9 beta are installed.

This happens in Mandriva 2007 Official but not 2006.

I see the same error message as you do on the console

The bug I cited mentions popups, but I now see that these are not required to cause the crash.

Regards