2007 powerpack install problems

oshunluvr

I got my powerpack i586 dvd and did a new install from it. I have read through the errata and did those items that applied to me.

My biggest issue right now is it appears none of the "drake" tools will not work. They all worked under RC1, but something is amiss now. When I launch harddrake, diskdrake, printerdrake I get a blank window or nothing at all. No errors just a blank window that won't close without a "not responding" error window. Some of the tools I have tried work - fdisk for example, but the drakes aren't. I like the drakes for tools I haven't yet learned how to command-line properly. For example - printerdrake fails so how am I to fix the hp scanner issue in the errata? It calls for using printerdrake to remove the printqueue using printerdrake....

Note I have JUST done this install and am just starting to set up my system. I will report back to this thread as I fix/discover problems. I hope that anyone else with more knowledge (just about everyone!) will chime in and help me out and those with problems of their own will report then and their fixes.

So far I have done:

Copied rpms from dvd to hard drive and updated urpmi

Added urpmi sources from easyurpmi

Edited xorg.conf to add support for my dual monitors and 100 dpi

Installed 100 dpi fonts

Current issues: drakes still fail, launching konqueror as root from konsole results in "can't talk to klauncher",

todo next - add 100 dpi font to font list, add windows fonts, edit kdmrc

note on drake problems: attempted printerdrake form konsole, window popped-up very briefly and disappeared. ten minutes or more later printerdrake window reappeared "searching for new printers"

Sounds strange!

I had problems too, but at least the tools were working. I would try another install, and this time do not choose "individual package selection". It seems there are some hiccups in the packet managers of recent distros. Maybe there's just too much software making stuff to complex?

Cheers

Helmut.

Edited by Helmut

I didn't do individual package selection. The printerdrake started after like ten minutes but didn't respond after that (or was too slow responding for me - like 10 minutes after). I can't find any error messages anywhere yet.

UPDATE: 100 dpi fonts and mscore fonts installed, Seer-of-Souls added as urpmi source,

New issue: ksysguard launches but doesn't have any data in it.

Add your easyurpmi sources, could be some updates to fix all this. I know I installed a lot a while ago, but all my drake tools work perfectly fine.

Yeah I did that. It seems my issues with the drake tools has something to do with kdetv or the tv wonder card. If I cold restart and DON'T launch kdetv - most of the problems above dissappear. Once I launch kdetv, it seems to run ok, but then if I try and close it or quit - it refuses to quit, all the drake tools won't launch (actually once printerdrake opened up 10 full minutes after launching it) and ksysguard when opened shows all 8's in all numerical fields and the process windows never fills. I say "never" meaning too long for me the watch. The printerdrake behavior noted above makes me think that the drakes may be actually launching, but so sloooowwwly as to appear to not be working. If I have some time to kill I may try and repeat the behavior and just let it sit for a half hour and see what happens.