MDK & Bluetooth

SoulSe

I recently watched a friend showing off with his Sony-Ericcson phone and Bluetooth-enabled windows laptop. He could open up winamp with it and open playlists, perform shit like play, stop, etc. and also control his mouse cursor - way impressive.

So now I'm getting a phone with Bluetooth (Nokia 6310) and I was wondering if all these things could be done with MDK? The bluetooth adaptor I am getting plugs into the USB port.

If I search MDKs supported hardware database for "bluetooth" it returns nothing.

So has anyone had any luck with getting a bluetooth adaptor going with MDK? And if so, what cool shit will I be able to do with my cellphone?

Hi SoulSe

There is some Bluetooth options in the Linux kernel. I guess MDK compiled them as modules so you can probably use them.

Core driver:

Core BlueTooth modules: bluez.o

L2cap (connectionless data-transport support): l2cap.o

SCO (Voice over bluetooth): sco.o

Device drivers:

Bluetooth with usb interfaces: hci_usb.o

Bluetooth with serial ports or PCMCIA: hci-vart.o

HCI emulation software: hci-vhci.o

So in order to use bluetooth in your case I would modprobe 'bluez', 'l2cap' and 'hci_usb'. You probably need a sofware in addition to that.. have no idea here since I never used any Bluetooth devices. Make a search on Sourceforge or Freshmeat..

http://bluez.sourceforge.net/

Good luck

MOttS

Well, so far, I have found this: http://freshmeat.net/projects/bluexmms/?to...ic_id=861%2C122

But it seems to be only for ericsson phones and I have no choice, must be Nokia.

My main worry is finding a Linux compatible bluetooth USB adaptor...

I also found the affix Linux bluetooth howto: http://bthow.sourceforge.net/html/

• 8 months later...

My friend just told me not to buy Nokia.. Nokia is the most unstandard of all the cellphones while sony ericsson is the most standard one. Heck.. if I can send and receive files (midi, and gifs) to my sony ericsson cellphone in linux, in windows it should be able to do much more. Nokia requires additional programs in order to do stuffs like sending and receiving stuffs while sony ericsson just require you to have a supported protocol (irda, bluetooth, etc)