Exporting and importing gpg keys.

Guest chad

Hi all,

Anyone using gpg? I followed the Howto from the gnupgp.org website and created a key. I'm still a little confused, though, about exporting and importing keys. How do I export a key and where is it stored when I export it? Also, when importing a key from another user, is it stored in the same place?

I know this isn't a Mandrake specific question, but I wasn't sure where else to ask. I signed up for the gpg mailing list but so far I haven't received a reply.

Thanks

Chad

Hi all,

Anyone using gpg? I followed the Howto from the gnupgp.org website and created a key. I'm still a little confused, though, about exporting and importing keys. How do I export a key and where is it stored when I export it? Also, when importing a key from another user, is it stored in the same place?

I know this isn't a Mandrake specific question, but I wasn't sure where else to ask. I signed up for the gpg mailing list but so far I haven't received a reply.

Thanks

Chad

Here is how you get GPG going with KMail:

Yes the are all located in /home/user/.gnupg

Once you have your key generated, then you import and sign all the other keys. You also have to build a trust database and cache or else you will just have a key which won't recognize the othe keys you import, just do the following.

$gpg --import keyname.asc

$gpg --sign-key keyname.asc

$gpg --update-trustdb

$gpg --rebuild-keydb-caches

You have to do this anytime you make changes to your keyrings, if not the key will not be recognized.

K-Mail is pretty much the only mail program I have come across for Linux that will use PGP,

Go into K-Mail Settings, K-Mail Settings, Identities, Modify the Identity you have setup, select the Advanced Tab, Hit the arrow beside the OpenPGP key option, and select change. This depends on what version of Mandrake you are using and what version of KMail you are using. You should be able to select your key, so that K-Mail uses your public keys to encrypt and decrypt messages vice doing it manually from a terminal. Cheers