not able to start X server

Guest Vijay

Hi friends ,

I installed Mandriva 2007 on my compaq presario yesterday, but after sucessful installation the XServer is not starting . From the MandrivaLinux2007Errata i understood that there is some problem with intel graphic chipset 915.

From the same doc the work around is given to update the drivers through internet. But unfortunately i cant update through net as my internet connection is very slow. So can any body give me details of the rpm packages which i can download and install.

Thanks

vijay

It could be you just need to apply updates to your system, but this means you need an internet connection to do it. There will be dependencies, so I don't know as I don't have a card to test this with anyhow at present.

I suggest, you press CTRL-ALT-F1 and then when you're at the console, login as root and enter root password. Then type:

service dm stop

to stop any running instance of X. Now type:

mcc

and choose Display, and configure for a VESA card. This will at least give you basic functionality for the time being.

Ok ,

I will explain the error i got

i did startx , the gui opened and closed and i can see some errors on the console .

[EE] I810(0):[dri] DRIScrrenInit failed . Disabling DRI

[EE] AIGX : screen0 is not DRI capable

waiting for X Server to shutdown

Is it possible to rectify this error and start the X. I did try to configure other hardware but failed

Is there any way to install required driver

Thanks

Vijay