Best way to go back to 2006

RVDowning

I've had too many problems with 2007 and need to go back to 2006. I can take a current backup so I have my home directory stuff, restore from my last 2006 backup, and then restore my home directory.

The issue is that I'm not sure how to keep from clobbering my 2006 menu when I restore my current home directory onto the 2006 version. Are there specific hidden directories which I should not overlay?

chances are most of those settings are in ~/.kde (or similar) - so leaving the directory alone should be safe. On the other hand, I think Mandriva also keeps global settings for the menu's which are outside of your /home so there may be nothing to worry about.

when I went back from 2006 to 2005 I had the bad surprise

to see that something had changed in kmailrc (in /home/myusername

(in the syntax) and it was enough to prevent reading my emails.

I used a backup to find out what changed in kmailrc

So it does not answer your question, but it is close enough to be a bit relevant to this topic, hence my post

Downgrading isn't so easy. You have version diferences of KDE 3.4 and KDE 3.5. Not only that, the upgrade would have migrated and upgraded your confile files.

If you have a backup of your home directory config files prior to install, it would be easy to go back to 2006. Alternatively, post the problems you're experiencing and maybe we can help.

I'm using 2007 on three systems as of now, only one I have problems with in shutting down and powering off, but I will take a look at this soon when I return home from working away.

EDIT: just saw your other post about what doesn't work.