fglrx problems - please help

Emret

I had that problem too with games, what i found is that i had to remove the 3d desktop and to change :

Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"

to

Option "OpenGLOverlay" "on"

After that, i was able to play games in full screen mode, at the resolution i wanted.

Let me know if it works for you.

PS: Before that change, i couldn't check my FPS with gears.

I checked GLXGears and It was not that bad... guess the problem was temporary. Both TuxKart and Chromium now runs like a charm in full screen (The Chromium problem was solved by running the -config and setting it up to my desired resolution and full screen). My Gears fps was around 2k so I'm pleased with that.

I have encountered another problem though.... It might just be a bug in XGL but still it is very annoying. When I Mandriva boots up and I am logging in to KDE I sometimes (actually 90% of the times) noticed that XGL is not properly loaded... the windows decorations are not loaded and everything is extremely slow. Sometimes restarting X with ctrl+alt+backspace is enought but today I had to reboot the computer and restarting X numerous times before everything was loaded correctly. Whats the problem here?

Then again, once XGL has successfully loaded everying works like charm (except for composite windows, but I'll have to manage without)

//Emret

Edited by Emret

• 10 months later...

Hello, Time to wake this thread up again.

Recently I had to reinstall Mandriva 2007. I connected a malfunctioning external harddrive that could not be read in Windows (although formatted with NTFS, so notice the amount of irony here). The disc could be read in linux so I tried copying the files that needed to be rescued over to my hard drive without paying attention to the space on my disk... my linux disk became over filled and I ran out of disc space. Everytime I tried to log into Mandriva I was thrown back to the login page with numerous error messages about various config files that could be written due to the disc being full.

So, I wiped the entire disc out and reinstalled Mandriva. I managed to get 3d acceleration up and running. Fglrxinfo says that the Ati driver is loaded for OpenGL rendering and Chromium works like charm to prove that 3d acceleration is actually working. However, when I go to the Mandriva Control Center and bring up the properties for the 3d desktop all my options for enabling 3d desktop is greyed out. Have I missed to install something?

Cheers!

/Emret