Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 (model SB0100)

edwardp

I've installed Mandriva Linux 2007 Free on two computers. :mandriva:

Interestingly, I have had no issues with the slower and older of the two computers. :mr-green:

On the newer and faster computer, there appears to be an issue with ALSA and the Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 sound card, model SB0100. After installation, the software detected the card correctly and loads in the snd-emu10k1 driver. From what I saw in the pull down list, the drivers beginning with "snd-" are for use with ALSA.

However, upon bootup, as soon as ALSA loads in the driver, a high-pitched squeal emits from the speakers. This sound continues to emit non-stop until either the speakers are turned off, or when ALSA is shut down when powering down.

The configuration utility indicated "emu10k1" (OSS) and "audigy" are alternate drivers. Upon attempting to use both of these, the "audigy" driver resulted in the same high-pitched squeal and upon the system loading "emu10k1" afterwards, that driver could not be found.

I also have an older Creative SoundBlaster PCI128 card, model ES1371. After installation, harddrake correctly detected this and installed the "es1371" (snd-es1371) driver. No high-pitched squeal and the sound works perfectly.

there are various possible reasons for this squeal. check your volume settings (in Mandriva), try turning some of the volumes up and down and see if that has any effect on the sound. also make sure your speakers are plugged into the right hole(s) in your card.

The speakers were plugged into the proper connection and I tried various volume controls without success, the best that could be done was to mute it, turn off the mute and the squeal was still there.

This wasn't a problem with Mandriva 2006 using the same sound card, if the driver itself is the same version as what was included with Mandriva 2006, then the issue must be with the new ALSA vcrsion. It obviously doesn't like the SB0100.

I made an error in the replacement sound card installed (the one that works), it is actually a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card (model ES1371), which uses the ens1371 (not es1371) driver.