Login failure [solved]

c-clone

Hi all,

I am getting a high pitch sound and the pc hangs when I try to log into my account. Can somebody show how can I recover my account?

This is what had happened.

Late last friday the icons on my desktop disappeared and the wallpaper went back to original blue mandriva 2006. Rebooted n ran gconf -editor, show desktop is set to true. Rebooted and again got the wallpaper and destop icons missing.

Early this morning I went into Gnome control center(GCC) via kicker's menu, clicking on desktop's background brings back my preferred wallpaper to the desktop. Logged off with saved current setup set to true, I found that logging in after that does not recover my wallpaper setting.

So I went into GCC, recover my wallpaper setting and start gconf -editor. This time around I set show desktop to false. Logged off with the save current setup. It is after this when I can't log into my account. Ctrl + Alt + Backspace got me back to loggin menu.

If you have KDE installed, select KDE from the list of desktops available at login and then when you've logged in here, run gconf editor again and reset the false to true, and then log back into Gnome after this.

Does it bring you back to using Gnome? Not sure why it won't remember you're settings. When I've used gnome (briefly) it remembered my settings without ticking the box to save. But I'm sure one of the other gnomers here will be able to help you in that respect.

The only other way I can think is an extreme, and that's removing the .gnome and .gnome2 directories within your /home/username directory - but this would remove all settings related to gnome, and then you'd have to start again. Maybe, rename both these directories to .gnome.old and .gnome2.old and then login to gnome after this with new settings, and see how you go after this. You can always rename them back again later if need be.

I think you might have turned off nautilus within gconf or something, as this gets rid of the icons too. I think the entry is something like use nautilus or something like that, can't remember now.