New to 64bits computing

sjaglin

Hi there,

I've ordered some new bit to build a new sff with an am2 socket, system will be as follow :

Asus Vintage V2 AH2

Athlon XP 64 3500+ & 2x512Mb DDRII

1 sata 160Gb 1 PATA 160Gb etc...

1-So, I understand I will have to download a 64 bit edition of mandriva, can I upgrade my current config or do I perform a new install??

2-Am I likely to have some drivers problems as this mobo is quite new?

3-I "still" need windoze on one partition for my games (not released on cedega nor wine), do I need a new version of windoze 64 or will a 32 bits version work?

That's all I think!

Thanks and sorry to ask about microsprout stuff...

Stef :D

Hey stef,

No, you don't have to use a 64 bit version. In fact, you'd probably have more troubles trying to use it with some of the things that don't work (like flash) and others as well.

A 32 bit distro will work fine on it, prob quite fast too, and theres even speculation that a 64 bit distro isn't even that noticeably faster anyhow. I'm not sure what advantages/disadvantages it has but there are quite a few things that won't work for you. I can only name flash, as it's all I can remember right now.

I remember a few people here with 64 bit systems, and using the 32 bit distro instead.

Oh, and Windows, 32 bit version will run fine on this as well - my cousin does it.

If you wanna, download the 64 bit version and give it a go. You can always go back to 32 later if you find testing isn't that great. Although, means a couple of new installs though.