crash X

hirohitosan

Hi there. Today my X server has crashed. I was working in OOWriter and suddenly the application doesn't respond and I killed OO window using Xkill. After that I couldn't open O office so I tried to restart the X server. At that moment everything frozen. Keyboard, mouse, everything. I had to restart my computer with reset button. I don't know what cause that crash. Can I check some logs or something? Or if it works again I don't have to be worry?

Another crash: I connect through ssh to a server using console (Alt F2) after a while, maybe the connection with server was lost and the console is frozen too. I cannot use keyboard on that console. I don't know how to “kill” a console. For example if I login on another console (Alt+F3) how to kill console 2?

What version of Mandriva again? 2006? Have you applied all updates to your system?

I use Mandriva 2006 and I applied all updates to my system. Now it works again after restarting, but I didn't understand what was happened. I didn't aspect at such severe crash. And about killing a console which doesn't respond, any suggestions?

Check /var/log/messages, /var/log/dmesg and /home/username/.xsession-errors for debugging. For killing, try the "kill" or "killall" the pid number displayed for the frozen terminal with e.g. "top".