error message while installing software

hussam

I had this happen once. Seems if I remember the problem was when the rpm install failed, urpmi didn't delete the .rpm file. If you know the name of the .rpm file, do a search for it on your hard drive and delete it. Then re-rum urpmi and it will download it again and attempt a new install.

I can't remember the default location for d/l'd rpms.

Maybe I read your post wrong. You're saying you install OK. but it wants to delete some package and can't?

I suggest learnign to use urpmi at the command line. You get more meaningful errors messages that way. Post the actual filenames you're dealing with so someone can help you figure this out. The more specifics the better.

Yes, it installs ok but it wants to delete some package and it can't.

But, if I try to install some package using urpmi from command line, it works with no errors.

I really don't know which package. Is there a log somewhere I can look at?

You should see timestamped messages in "/var/log/messages"

It would look something like:

Sep 17 05:23:57 localhost perl: [RPM] kdebase-nsplugins-3.5.4-32mdv2007.0 installed

Sep 17 05:23:58 localhost perl: [RPM] kdebase-nsplugins-3.5.4-20mdv2007.0 removed

This is from my messages file form a recent upgrade install

Yes, it installs ok but it wants to delete some package and it can't.

But, if I try to install some package using urpmi from command line, it works with no errors.

I really don't know which package. Is there a log somewhere I can look at?

Dude, if you want some help you're going to have to be more specific and help yourself as well.

The entries are time stamped and thes is a clock on your computer. Note the time the error occurs and look at those entries in your log files.

Are you installing packages with your eyes closed? If not, what are the names of the packages. They don't all have the same files in them or have the same dependancies or conflicts. Saying "some" package and looking for someone to fix an error with no details is like asking a car mechanic to fix your car over the phone. We can't guess at what's wrong or what you're trying to do.

• 10 months later...
Guest helios
Dude, if you want some help you're going to have to be more specific and help yourself as well.

The entries are time stamped and thes is a clock on your computer. Note the time the error occurs and look at those entries in your log files.

Are you installing packages with your eyes closed? If not, what are the names of the packages. They don't all have the same files in them or have the same dependancies or conflicts. Saying "some" package and looking for someone to fix an error with no details is like asking a car mechanic to fix your car over the phone. We can't guess at what's wrong or what you're trying to do.

Dude, if YOU are going to post on help boards, you're going to have to read the entire friggin' thread and not the last two entries. This guy was completely specific in what his problem was and what he had done to find the answer prior to coming here. If the first place, if you read his post, most anyone would have picked up from his syntax that he does not speak English as his native language. The second part of this issue was kind of tossed his way and you can tell he didn't quite know what to respond with.

Sorry to come stomping into your little fiefdom and comment, but you are totally out of place with your response, it would seem you are a member of an ever-growing elitest bunch that does their best to brow beat people needing help. It's just you don't like the way it's asked. Now, the guy is probably long gone but I have taken his information, traced him to Britain and I am going to try and call the number assigned to that street address. I don't expect everyone to go to these lengths to help someone, but I would expect someone to be civil and patient. While I am helping him, I am going to apologize on behalf of all the people that got a black eye from your little snit.

I have classes starting in those subjects next week. I'll sign you up for free.

h

Guest helios
helios:

The thread you are responding to is almost 1 year old......."

"Now, the guy is probably long gone...

Fully realized. However, the individual is pegged to receive responses from this if he is still subscribed. It's a matter of setting the record straight, wrong is wrong man and as foolish as it may seem, I couldn't let it stand. BTW, I did get in touch with Hussam. He lives in Edinborough Britain. He remembered the post clearly. Quite shocked that anyone would contact him not to mention call him long distance.

That's ok my friend...it isn't the first time I've done something seemingly worthless and dumb...and it's far from the last.