anjuta/gtk+/programming

jgw

I am trying to get going on some programming. I have some experience programming c (mostly in dos) and am coming from windows. I am running with mandriva and a kde desktop. I want to use plain 'C'. I decided that gtk+ is probably the best way to go with this. I ran through glade 2 demo/tutorial(s) with no problem but then decided I needed an environment/ide. As far as I can tell Anjuta is the way to go with this.

I installed anjuta (1.2.2) and brought it up. I imported a program (a code snippit from glade2) to see what happened. What happened is that it kinda went nuts. descriptors started getting magically moved. Pieces of code would get overwritten (they remained) with other code, etc. I have no idea why this happened. I went through the setup but there was nothing there (that I saw) that would fix the problem. I have since removed that program (the installation may have been bad). Then I went out to see if there were newer versions - there were. My problem there is that I cannot seem to get to them. I did get to one (v 1.2.4) but the installation failed due to a missing package (which I searched for and never found).

Anyway, I am now stuck. Perhaps I should be using the gnome desktop instead of kde?

Is anjuta the way to go and what did I do wrong?

Are my basic assumptions as to what I should be using to be programming in C right?

Any, and all. thoughts would be gratefully accepted as I am completely at sea and, obviously, confused and clueless.

Thank you................

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I can't remember the one I am missing. I think you have, however, answered one of my question that has been bugging me and that is that Anjuta is supposed to run under KDE as well as GNOME? I do have v 2.2.3 (I think Its the last version completed for Mandriva I believe). I have been gone for two days. Perhaps I should install GNOME instead of KDE (I have no idea how to do that but I could make a run at it (given that I am clueless what I use for a desktop makes no difference to me at this time (I am using KDE as that is how Mandriva installed))).

My problem with the Anjuta screen overwriting it self and behaving badly is, pretty much, covered at anjuta.org and has to do, evidently, with Pango. The fix, evidently, is to drop back to v1.8 If one removed Pango, however, it takes a LOT of other stuff with it. My thought is to, now, wait for v2007 of Mandriva in the hopes that they have new versions of stuff that will overcome the problem. Removing Pango, and then reinstalling stuff that was removed, just seems to be a lot more trouble than its worth (if the new version has a better Pango (there is one in the cooker several versions ahead).

Thanks for the reply....................java script:emoticon(':wall:', 'smid_9')

Edited by jgw

I don't know wether Anjuta integrates well into KDE, but it's written in and mainly for GTK/Gnome. You can use both KDE and GNOME (on user level), but when developing apps, you'll better decide which way to go (i.e. use gtk or qt libraries for desktop progs).

GNOME deeply relies on the pango lib, so you likely won't get along without when choosing the GNOME path. If you'd rather tend to work in the KDE realm, then maybe better choose a different IDE? Here's KDevelop:

http://www.kdevelop.org/

Jolly hacking,

scoonma

Edited by scoonma

Kdevelop uses qt. QT is for C++ which is why I decided on GTK. I am trying to convert some existing C programs that I have written in Windows. All the programs are mature and working and nicely functioned out and I see absolutely no reason to move to C++ unless forced. When I checked on the pango stuff, in mandriva KDE for possible deletion and reinstallation I was advised that "the following programs must also be removed" and it proceeded to list half my desktop plus a bunch of stuff that I had no idea what it was. This being the case I backed off. This also leads me to believe that KDE stuff too is pretty dependent on pango for stuff.

I am, however, beginning to believe that I should probably switch my desktop to GNOME. I have no real problem with this as I am still learning stuff and I doubt its that much different (ignorance is bliss?) All I have to figure out is how to switch desktops. I have noticed that some folks are actually switching between the two. Its interesting but I really don't want to do that. Just want to settle down and get on with it. My main problem, now, remains with anjuta and the text bug that exists in my version (and pango 1.10 (I think))

I think my next move is to try and take care of my desktop thing. If I could be pointed in the right direction to get this done I would appreciate it. Evidently I can goto the control center and simply install GNOME. As usual the problem is in the details and this one seems to be a doozy. When I went there and choose to install GNOME I was presented with a LOT of choices and have no clue as to what I should choose. Once I have installed GNOME I assume there is some way to switch between the two or should I remove KDE? This is all very mysterious. I suspect that before I am done I will end up reinstalling and just choosing GNOME as the desktop (I suspect this would be the best path to follow as there is nothing on this machine I need to actually save).

Thanks for the reply and anybody's thoughts would be gratefully accepted.

Edited by jgw

KDE and GNOME can coexist on a Mandriva system. If you want to install a basic GNOME environment, you can simply install the package "task-gnome-minimal". This should take care of all stuff which is definitely needed. For developing purpose, you'll have to add some "*-devel" type packegs, C-Compiler (gcc), gmake and some additional stuff, if you like. This is taken from the gnome-minimal description:

Name		: task-gnome-minimal
Version	 : 2007
Description :
This package is a meta-package, meaning that its purpose is to contain
minimal dependencies for running a minimal GNOME desktop environment.

If in doubt when presented some option which further package to use, choose default or simply ask here. :-)

Good luck,

scoonma

Luck is exactly what seems to be in short supply. I reinstalled linux and have opened a real can of worms. Things are simply no longer working correctly (I have posts all over the place). I fully expect to keep on moving ahead but, for the time being, I am busy learning more and more (getting more and more dangerous). I am currently dropping back to read everything I can on rpm and then I will forage ahead.

Thanks for the reply..................