ALSA will not load

Guest SDMF

No. Originally I had no tone controls at all. A few weeks ago I downloaded and compiled the updated OSS driver (emu10k1) WITH sequencer support. Hence the emu-script that you see commented out of my modules.conf. After that, I had bass/treble controls, but no ALSA. That led me right up to the original post I made on this thread.

I checked the details for the SoundBlaster Live cards. I have an SB Live! 5.1+MP3, which I am guessing falls under that category. Under the details section for that card, I noticed that there is a script that is called snddevices that I never ran when I compiled the new driver version of ALSA. I just ran that, and while I am at it I am going to install the alsa-lib and alsa-utils. I will post back after I have done that.

Thanks for putting up with me, I don't know all that much about ALSA.

One other note, I recompiled the Ogle DVD Player with ALSA support and tried to watch a movie. After a few seconds I started getting tons of broken pipe error msgs to the terminal window.

Maybe the Live! 5.1+MP3 has problems with ALSA. I am posting to the alsa-users mailing list right now, to see what information I can get from other people who might have had a similar problem.

No. Originally I had no tone controls at all. A few weeks ago I downloaded and compiled the updated OSS driver (emu10k1) WITH sequencer support.
From http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1 ?

Hence the emu-script that you see commented out of my modules.conf. After that, I had bass/treble controls, but no ALSA. That led me right up to the original post I made on this thread.
The OSS and ALSA drivers are independent drivers. Note that the system can use only one driver for a device at a given time. So if u use one driver, u cannot use the other at the same time.

Anyway, u say that with the OSS driver, u had bass/treble controls. So why not stick with OSS ? Why is ALSA absolutely necessary ?

Yeah, I got the source tarball for emu10k1 from sourceforge.

I dunno, I had just heard that ALSA offered some advantages, so I thought I would give it a try. Looks like it is back to OSS till I can get this resolved, if I do.

I dunno, I had just heard that ALSA offered some advantages, so I thought I would give it a try.
Not always, as in ur case. But ALSA is getting better.
Looks like it is back to OSS till I can get this resolved, if I do.
Stick with OSS for the time being. When ALSA 0.9 final is released (very imminent), try that out.

Well, a guy on alas-users clued me in. There is a setting right next to the Bass and Treble settings on the alsamixer that was just called tone, and it was muted. I un-muted it, and voila. :oops: Sorry for all of the confusion, but thanks a lot for remaining patient with me. Incidentally, the ALSA bass and treble controls sound REAL choppy when turned anywhere past 50, while the OSS ones sound fine at any level. So all that, seemingly for nothing. It was a learning experience at least. It will be back to OSS for me until the final release.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions, and for remaining patient.