ALSA will not load

Guest SDMF

I installed the updated emu10k1 drivers and added the emu-script to my modules.conf so that I would be able to adjust tone settings through the equalizer. It's been working, however since then ALSA refuses to load. Here is my modules.conf

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci

alias eth0 8139too

alias sound emu10k1

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1

post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/emu-script

I know that the ALSA driver is snd-emu10k1, but when I change it to that in the modules.conf, I lose tone controls. There has to be a way to adjust bass/treble with ALSA, right?

I installed the new version of the alsa-driver. I went into the MCC under System -> Services to see if it was running, and it said it was not. There was a new service in the list, however, called alsasound, and it is running. When I clicked Start to try to start up ALSA, I got a message saying "ALSA driver is not running".

Now, I don't know if this has to do with the stuff that is in my modules.conf, or not. The reason I have it the way I have it now is so that I can adjust bass and treble through the mixer, which I could not do before I recompiled the emu10k1 drivers with sequencer support.

I installed the new version of the alsa-driver. I went into the MCC under System -> Services to see if it was running, and it said it was not. There was a new service in the list, however, called alsasound, and it is running. When I clicked Start to try to start up ALSA, I got a message saying "ALSA driver is not running".
MCC is a really crappy and buggy software. Never trust it. I had the opposite experience in which it claimed to have started the alsa daemon when I had none installed !!

Now, I don't know if this has to do with the stuff that is in my modules.conf, or not.
Obviously, since ur modules.conf was originally set to use the OSS drivers, u need to change it. What does modules.conf look like currently ?

The reason I have it the way I have it now is so that I can adjust bass and treble through the mixer, which I could not do before I recompiled the emu10k1 drivers with sequencer support.

U should configure alsa drivers with these options

--enable-verbose-printk --with-debug=full --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes --with-cards=emu10k1 --with-isapnp=no

Did u install ur latest ALSA drivers in

/lib/modules/`uname -r`

?

I didn't know that you had to enable it when you compiled the ALSA drivers. I am recompiling with those options enabled.

My modules.conf is the same as in the beginning of the thread, I have not changed it since then. Obviously, once I recompile I will change the lines to reflect the ALSA module.

I don't know what you mean by `uname -r`. The only subdirectory/file/etc. in /lib/modules is a directory with the same name as my kernel version.

I will post back after I'm done compiling and trying out the ALSA driver.

I don't know what you mean by `uname -r`. The only subdirectory/file/etc. in /lib/modules is a directory with the same name as my kernel version.
The command
uname -r

gives the kernel version.

Well, I don't know exactly if they were installed there or not, I saw my kernel version come across the terminal window several times after I typed make install.

After reinstalling ALSA, compiled with the options you suggested, I edited the modules.conf to look like the following:

alias eth0 8139too

alias sound snd-emu10k1

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

#post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/emu-script

Then I rebooted. During bootup I saw that it said it was loading ALSA, as expected. But now, even though I configured it with sequencer support, it is not adjusting bass and treble.

Comment out the line

alias sound snd-emu10k1

since it is not needed.

Add the line

above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

. Save ur modules.conf.

Then, run this command (as root):

/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsa restart

Now, run a mixer program (aumix, kmix, ...) to get non-zero settings.

Did that, ALSA driver is now running, again no control over bass/treble. The sliders are there in aumix, and I can adjust the bass/treble levels in the mixer, but it doesn't do anything to change the bass/treble. It's like they're there for nothing. Here is my current modules.conf:

alias eth0 8139too

#alias sound emu10k1

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

#post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/emu-script

Originally there were no tone controls, but after I comiled the emu10k1 drivers with sequencer support, they worked fine. I'll check the alsa-project page.
U misunderstood me. The emu10k1.