Belkin F5D7050 USB Stick Recognised as Scanner

Guest tobiz

I'm running Mandriva 2006 Official with 2.6.12-21mdksmp kernel. I've connected a Belkin 54G USB WiFi stick to 4-port USB hub. All was working ok with ndiswrapper and rt73 driver from Belkin CD, ie could see WiFi networks. For some reason it's stopped working! MMC->Hardware reports Belkin as both a Scanner and Other USB Adapter. MCC->Networking->SetUp->Wireless->Use ndiswrapper->Use rt73 driver, reports "No device supporting the rt73 ndiswrapper driver is present", presumably because it thinks it's a Scanner!!! Help on this one much appreciated. No luck after much googling.

Just for the record I've fixed the problem but not solved why the F5D7050 is recognised as a scanner. The solution is to run as root:

#lsusb /* returns Belkin usb id in form xxxx:xxxx*/

#ndiswrapper -d xxxx:xxxx rt73 /* use the xxxx:xxxx from the lsusb. rt73 is driver supplied by Belkin on CD*/

#ifconfig wlan0 up /*Belkin should go live with flashing green light */

From then on using Mandriva Control Centre wireless lan can be configured as needed, Belkin will be on list of network interface adapters.

On to the real problem, running the Belkin as an Access Point. It seems the ndiswrapper can't do this! Linuxant may be the solution.