Too much used space [solved]

Urza9814

Ok, my computer started going crazy...at first it was spitting out error messages whenever I tried to run SE:IV on wine and stuff...so I rebooted, it spit out a few errors...got the same problem though. Tried rebooting again, got to the login prompt, put in my info...and it just brought up the login prompt again. So finally I decide I'll just reinstall. Well, when I go to install, I get an error message saying I need at least 107MB of hard drive space, and I have...NEGATIVE 57MB. Negative. How the hell does that happen? I booted into failsafe and deleted a buncha crap and it seems to be ok now...but...I'm just confused as hell about how you end up with negative hard drive space remaining. And this isn't the first time I've had this problem either. What the hell?

So...not everything is ok. urpmi was having some problems....so I'm trying to set it up again, but it's getting all screwy....

[root@Arochone urza9814]# urpmi.removemedia -a
unable to access hdlist file of "plf-nonfree", medium ignored
removing medium "Installation Free DVD (cdrom1)"
removing medium "plf-free"
removing medium "updates"
removing medium "main"
removing medium "contrib"
removing medium "plf-nonfree"
rpmdb: unable to join the environment
error: db4 error(11) from dbenv->open: Resource temporarily unavailable
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
Can't call method "traverse_tag" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i386-linux/URPM/Signature.pm line 91.

[...]

Well, when I go to install, I get an error message saying I need at least 107MB of hard drive space, and I have...NEGATIVE 57MB. Negative. How the hell does that happen? I booted into failsafe and deleted a buncha crap and it seems to be ok now...but...I'm just confused as hell about how you end up with negative hard drive space remaining. And this isn't the first time I've had this problem either. What the hell?

Hm, I'd be very careful if such a condition raised and first backup important data if not already done. But make sure the error is "real". Possible causes I can think of:

a) The tool displaying displaying hd size is not working properly. Did you actually have more than 107 MB free? What does "df" say? Does it present the same, i.e. negative output?

b) If yes, maybe the filesystem has a problem. Then I suppose you're running into trouble. Sometimes the fs can recover, sometimes not.

c) It's sort of an exception, triggered by the combination of wine plus install soft. Does the installer use any strange copy protection? (Well, you could argue that some of them if not many are meant to be sort of strange...) If no, maybe it's just broken and only happens to work on Win$ by luck. When you do "wine setup.exe" from command line, any errors showing up?

Edited by scoonma

I know it's not a hardware problem...my harddrive is only a few months old, it's a Maxtor, and everything but uprmi is running fine after I went into failsafe and deleted some crap. And I've had the same problem before, on a different hard drive about a year ago when I filled up my HDD, and that's the only problem I ever had on that one too. It's not hardware. I can't check what other programs output, because I deleted stuff so it's not overflowing anymore...lol

As for wine...I'm not running an installer. And the game's been running with no problems every day for about a month...and it's running fine again now that I freed up some disc space. Only thing I'm having trouble with is uprmi.

And no, haven't done anything with perl lately.