Getting bittorrent installed

earsh0t

im haveing alot of trouble iwth BT...ive installed bittornado fine i guess, but i DL a .torrent file and it doesnt do anything....i thought maybe its cuz i dont have python or somthing, so i DL that and try to install it but at the ./configure part it says i dont have any C compilers so it stops...any thoughts?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I downloaded my first bittorrent item the other day just as a test. I used Opera which has bittorrent support built in. I used it to download a 596 meg Knoppix live cd. Just wanted to make sure I had torrent capability long before the release of Mandriva 2007.

I think you can probably set up regular clients to be faster, especially if you use multiple ports. Opera isn't quite that sophisticated, but at least it worked, and I believe that it is the only browser with such support.

Edited by RVDowning

ok cool, cuz i do have opera installed...mines wierd thow it never put its self in the start menu, i always have to use the run command....what do you have to do to get a .torrent file to run on opera?

Edit- nm i figured it out lol thanks for the help, that basicly fixed my problems man :)

1more edit- well it dont work...jdoesnt DL at all...just stays on the ?/? thing....and i KNOW these torrents arnt dead.

Edited by earsh0t

For some reason the Linux defaults don't seem to be right.

I'm in front of a Windows machine at the moment, so I'm doing the following from memory:

Go to Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Downloads and look for the torrent entry.

Edit this item and select the checkbox to "Open with Opera". For some reason it defaults elsewhere.

Also, note the port that it wants. That port is going to have to be opened up on your machine. It is probably blocked by any firewall you have.

I found that the longer it goes, the faster it goes. It took me 2 hrs and 3 minutes for 596 meg, and that was after having dropped the connection a couple of times.

I usually use ftp if I can, but if one is talking about stuff like downloading the Mandriva 2007 DVD, the only option is to use bittorrent, and it is certainly better than getting nothing at all.

By the way, one would think that in theory, bittorrent could be faster than ftp. With ftp one is still limited by the other sites upload speed and server load. With peer to peer, one is gaining the advantage of multiple uploaders, with presumably less of a server load on each. Don't know if this speed increase actually occurs, but it looks like it could. So, the limiting factor could possibly become just one's download speed.

Edited by RVDowning

yea, ive been useing BT on windows for a good 3 years, i like it better for DLing stuff. ive found how to make it go a bit faster, make it use port 6881, makes it go WAY faster.

Quite the opposite, actually. Many ISP's (not yours or mine, neccessarily...) set bandwidth throttling on the standard P2P ports, so using a nonstandrad port (or port range, if you happen to use some python based client) will actually improve your client's performance.

Linux has a wide range of BT clients. Azuerus is certainly the best, if you can stang the very high RAM usage, but you can also use Transmission (fast and lightweight, but violating a few protocol standards, and as such banned from quite a few private BT trackers), uTorrent via wine (works great, but it has some limitations attributed to wine), ktorrent (it has improved a lot, but it's still not stable enough to be recommended) rtorrent (simply great, but no gui- console only!), as well as several other native clients.

• 2 weeks later...