Getting GTK2 themes to work in Fluxbox

Guest SDMF

When I try to use a GTK2 theme in fluxbox, it never works. If I quit fluxbox and start up Gnome2, the theme shows up fine, just doesn't work in fluxbox. I copied the gtkrc from /usr/share/themes/THEMENAME/gtk-2.0/ to ~/.gtkrc, is there something else that I need to do to get it to work outside of Gnome2? Or is it even possible?

Guest joehill

I have to edit 3 files for the theme to take in fluxbox, and even then only certain themes will apply to both gtk and gtk2 apps.

The files are:

.gtkrc, .gtkrc-1.2-2, and .gtkrc-2.0 in my home dir.

BVC has a few really good posts on this subject on this board, apparently with some hacking you can get gtk2 themes to work on gtk apps.

well shit, I just noticed that some of the drop-down menus on gtk+2 apps don't take kindly to the gtk+1.2 theme I was using. Still want a screenshot?

:oops: I was really tired when I asked about the space under your sig....doh :oops:

Hey bvc, do I comment out ALL of the stuff that you listed in that other thread?
All I ever had to comment out was the ones that pointed to =ARROW. Why? is it not working for you? Play with some of the other menu settings. What theme?

It worked. I commented out everything to do with an arrow, and it looks great. Thanks! The dropdown menus have a white background insread of the png image that you see in a GTK+1.2 app, but that is not a big deal.

Oh crap, I'm runninng into some problems with the configuration window in gaim 0.60. The list of configurable options on the left don't appear, the image they are using is over them. When I move my mouse over an option it becomes visible though. I'll do some more looking through the .gtkrc-2.0 file to see if I can do the same I did with the arrows with this problem.