Problem with FAT32 Partitiion [solved]

Lone

Ok, first of all let me just say I am a complete linux noob. Anyway the problem is I am dual booting Mandriva & Windows XP. I have windows on a NTFS partition, Madriva on a journal partition or something and then I have a fat32 partition for file storage like media so that I can access the files from both mandriva and windows. However, I can access and change it fine from windows but not mandriva. I have searched these forums lots now and found a few solutions of which none have worked. The problem is when I login as root and change the permissions on HDA7 to 777 it does it then it changes itself back. I have also tried changing the owner and group and it resets that too. So I went to MCC and changed ssecurity level to normal(2), then tried again and had the same result, the permissions reset themself again. I then found this:

/dev/hda7/mnt/win_x vfat umask=0,user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,exec 0 0

I opened the fstab file and deleted the current HDA7 entry and replaced it with that. I then tried to set the permissions again and got the same result - they reset themself again. So I have no idea what the problem is. In the meantime if I want to change anything on my FAT32 partition or delete or download anything to it, I have to login to root which isnt convenient in the slightest. Please if anyone knows a solution to this please tell me.

Thanks, Lone.

Edited by Lone

Your original line:

/dev/hda7/mnt/win_x vfat umask=0,user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,exec 0 0

Try like this:

/dev/hda7 /mnt/win_x vfat umask=0,user,users,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,rw,exec 0 0

of course, make sure that win_x exists in /mnt.

Argh this is really annoying me now lol. Ok I did what you said and made the directory but hey presto no change. I still cant change the permissions on the partition. Maybe I mounted it wrong. When I clicked mount it said where do I want to mount it so I just mounted it on /hda7 so it is in the root. Am I meant to mount it there? I can read the files ok I just cant change them or anything,,,

I'm wondering if your /etc/fstab entry is correct or not. It should have mounted as soon as your system rebooted if it was attached and it should have mounted to /mnt/win_x without asking you any questions.

Please make sure there are spaces between each option, I know your original line doesn't have a space between /dev/hda7 and /mnt/win_x so this might be the problem.

OOOk Now im going to cry :'(. I rebooted and then went to see if permissions were sorted and now the whole partition has unmounted complely. So I cant even access it now. This is really confusing. I'm just gonna have another look over everything and make sure its right.

Thanks! It's fixed now! So it just seems that I mounted it in the wrong place but now I know hwo to mount properly for future. I found the problem, there was a space like you said it was just hard to notice it there so I rebooted again and hey presto all fixed. Thanks a lot for your time you gave to help me. I can't say thank you enough.