mdk9.1rc1: xine dvd playback with d4d or d5d plugin

aRTee

I´m trying to use the plf d4d or d5d plugin in mdk9.1rc1, but can´t figure out how to tell xine that the plugins are there.

I got them from plf, they installed without a hitch, I ran xine-check and it hinted that no plugins were found since it checked only the standard dir

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/ which actually had a subdir /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/ with all plugins, except the d5d and d4d plugins that were in /usr/lib/xine/plugins/ .....

For those who follow so far, I copied both plugins to where all others are, to no avail.

So how can I tell xine that it should give me the d4d or d5d option, so I can watch my movies (with menurs) again...?

Well, yes, but mplayer doesn´t support menus, and I like xine. Just want to know how to get it to accept the plugins.

Btw mplayer does not come with default dvd support, you have to install libdvdcss or so...

So how do I do that and where do I get that?

Guest boonders

hmmm... 9.1 RC1 plays DVDs for me out of the box w/ mplayer, clean install. I've had similar problems with Xine, you install a plug-in and it doesn't show up on the GUI...somebody else will have to help us both on this one...

DVDs work fine with MPlayer (0.90rc2) and Xine (0.9.13) on my machine --- however, I'm not using Mandrake.... I'm just curious, have you tried reinstalling Xine after having installed the plugins? I know that's not the way that it would normally work, but it might be worth a try.

Are the rpms your intalled built for MDK 9.1? If they were built with MDK 9 in mind, then they aren't for the right version of Xine. This could well explain why Xine isn't picking up the plugins (something similiar happened to me once). You could try re-compiling the rpms for your system, or see if PLF release rpms built for 9.1

On a slightly different not, I still prefer Xine to mplayer. If it takes longer to get working then so be it. :wink:

Boonders, 9.1rc1 mplayer does NOT play encrypted dvd's so if you have some unencrypted (pirated ? ) ones, sure no problem... ;) the ones I have from Asia also play fine, on mplayer and xine.

And the plugins installed fine, only show a dependency to libxine >=0.9.13 I think...

qnr, I am using mdk9.1rc1 and xine that comes with it is partially used in konqueror etc... so I don't want to break that, just want to add the proper plugins. Naturally, if you installed the versions from freshrpms.net they work...

mtweidmann, you're dead-on: the rpms I used are probably built for an older version of wine (from plf), unfortunately I didn't find any newer ones for this release of mdk xine...

And I too prefer xine for dvd-playback.

I'll check plf for more recently compiled xine plugins, can't imagine I'm the only one wanting this....

Ogle - http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

Supports menus, subtitles, etc. Requires libdvdread and libdvdcss, as well as a few other libraries. Links to source for the needed libraries, along with the source for Ogle can be found here.

I have never had a problem viewing a DVD using this player. There is one issue that I experienced however, when I was running Gnome2, where the picture will not resize back down to normal after returning it from fullscreen mode. It instead changes to a maximized window. This seems to be more of a problem with the (very) buggy Gnome2 though, and not with Ogle, since I have not had the same problem with window managers like waimea and fluxbox.

There are a couple GUIs available, but I find it works just fine when run from the command line. There are keyboard controls for it, explained in the Manual section of the site.

qnr, I was thinking of doing that, but plf seems to have some new xine packages, so I'll try those first. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but have better things to do then waste time if it's not necessary.

SDMF, I have used ogle in the past, couldn't get my 4.0 channel surround working properly, and I just want xine to work.

I don't like changing apps because something somehow doesn't work.

That's a mentality from another OS... :D

I know xine can work, I just started this thread to find out how to fix it.

SDMF, I have used ogle in the past, couldn't get my 4.0 channel surround working properly, and I just want xine to work.

I don't know what version you were using before, but I believe the current version supports all manner of surround sound. There was a new release on the 24th of Feb.

Guest starbane

I had this problem when installing PLF rpms for Xine.

I fixed it be removing all the xine rpms from the Install CDs and reinstalling using only a contribs source and plf source.

urpmi.addmedia contribs <contrib source> with synthesis.hdlist2.cz (or something of that nature)

urpmi.addmedia plf <PLF source> with hdlist.cz

urpme xine (will usually bring up a list of xine dependant packages - which I then urpme until they're gone)

urpmi xine (same procedure as urpme) --media plf,contribs

Thanks starbane, will do it.

Btw in the process I found this urpmi source updater page:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

It helps you with the exact commands; just make sure you edit out any extra unwanted space that may have come in if the code is too long for the window and it wrapped to the next line...

(If this doesn´t make sense then you´re not having the same problem that I just had... lucky you.. :) )