A bundled question [solved]

plsoft

Q1. I'm running amarok with Mandriva Linux 2006. The prob is that the equalizer button is not active (not highlighted). I have updated amarok to 1.3.8 through urpmi but still the same problem. There is no prob with the sound though, just that i can't use the equalizer.

Q2. How do i update alsa driver through urpmi, as a matter of fact any application?

Q3. I can copy files from my windows partitions (fat32) but i can't write on them. It says "Access Denied" when i try to change the permission.

Please help n thnx n advance

Welcome to the board :beer:

You can update your apps, making sure you have all the easyurpmi repositories added. There is a link to easyurpmi at the top of the page. Add sources for main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Then when added, you can do updates using System/Configuration/Packaging/MandrivaUpdates, or as I find using the console much easier:

urpmi --update --auto-select

and that will do just the updates. If you want a full system update, do:

urpmi --auto-select

If you've done some updates so far, I'd suggest checking in System/Configuration/Packaging/Software Media Manager and find out what easyurpmi repositories you've added. It might be that you just have updates so far or just your CD sources.

Then, depending on what you have in here, just add what you need from the easyurpmi link.

Then, each week, you can just do something like:

urpmi.update -a

to update your lists to see if there are more updates available, and then just do the:

urpmi --auto-select

command to download and install the updates.

For your FAT32 problem, check your /etc/fstab file. There will be a line in there that says "vfat" on it, and in the options you'll need this option adding:

umask=0

so, here is mine as an example, although with NTFS, but it's similar:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

so after the ntfs or vfat for you, add umask=0, and if you see other options like mine, make sure you put a comma after, to separate the next option.

No idea on your amarok problem, sorry.

Here is the output of /etc/fstab. Please check it if it helps.

/dev/hda9 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda7 /mnt/win_f vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

A fren asked me to change the umask values to 0000 to solve my problem, but everytime i try to save it says "This document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file :///etc/fstab. Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available".

Please help if there is any other solution, like tweaking the control centre. Thnx again.

Edited by plsoft

That's correct, you need to be root access/superuser to edit the file:

su (enter root password when prompted)

then edit the file and change it to:

umask=0

you don't need 0000.

You can go through the gui if you really have to and aren't confident at the command line:

Choose "Run Command" and type "konqueror" but before you click OK, expand the options to choose run as different user and type "root" and the root password.

Then go to /etc directory, and edit fstab file and set the umask=0 option.

However, I really suggest you get used to using the command line. Another alternative is:

su (enter root password when prompted)
cd /etc
kwrite fstab

it will open kwrite which is a gui app, so you don't have to worry about using vi/vim or anything like that editing the file from the command line. This will help to get you comfortable with command line, and then later you can use vi/vim/nano or any of the other console text-based editors.