KDE crash [solved]

hirohitosan

Hello. From some time after I start my computer I receive an error message from KDE like this. If I press OK nothing happen, and KDE is still running. I don't know what it means that message, if its dangerous or not. Also I can't remember when was the first time when appear. It seems to me that since I installed Mandriva. Can anyone explain from where I get this message?

Thanx

Normally when I've seen this it's been something to do with the sound configuration. What version of Mandrake/Mandriva are you running? And have you applied updates to your system? Maybe there is a fix for it.

Normally when I've seen this it's been something to do with the sound configuration. What version of Mandrake/Mandriva are you running? And have you applied updates to your system? Maybe there is a fix for it.

hmm in fact this happened after I install some urpmi software. anyway I don't know how to apply updates. From easy urpmi I cheked all and I typed in the console what they gave. That was an update? (sorry for this basic question).

The easy urpmi sets up the sources, like main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree. Did you add all of them?

If so, you can do an update of your system with this command:

urpmi --update --auto-select

this will just apply updates. If you want a full system update, which I always do on my desktop, then:

urpmi --auto-select

and then you'll get a prompt for Y/N for installing the updates. You can check what sources you added by using System/Configuration/Packaging/Software Media Manager.

Check if you have all the sources I mentioned previously (main, contrib, etc, etc), and then go for an update.

Arigato.

It would start again from the beginning for the package it was in the middle of downloading. Use with this parameter:

urpmi --auto-select --resume

the resume will mean it will continue for files it partially downloaded instead of restarting that file from the beginning.

No, you can update your easyurpmi sources with:

urpmi.update -a

that will update all your urpmi sources, then just do a:

urpmi --auto-select --resume

in case any more new updates are available.

Thank you very much, it was really helpful for me

Domo arigatou (thank you very much) ;)

have you tried kde MDE stuff?

We never had any arts troubles, there is a sticky topic for MDE (Mandriva Enhanced RPMS) in Software dir, but you can always enter ww.mde.djura.org and check our new kde-3.5.4

greetings,

Hello. Since I updated my system when I try to use GNOME as a win manager all menus disappear. No menus, no side bar no buttons. I have on my desktop just Home directory and Trash. No application launcher or something like that :puter:

I dont understand why you want to use gnome when kde is more user-friendly, less buggy, more in many things.

When you report a problem you must also provide detailed info else developers will not be able to help since they dont know what the problem is.

Again about MDE you find latest kde available (kde-3.5.4), thing that mandriva doesnt provide, and more advanced and complete apps.

Edited by mmodem

Again about MDE you find latest kde available (kde-3.5.4), thing that mandriva doesnt provide, and more advanced and complete apps.

sorry I'm not a “Super Trouper” in Linux and I don't understand very well what's about MDE. I can install a new version of KDE? Or what I have to do? Can you give some more details? :unsure: