how to make a program available to user? [solved]

Well, generally there's a reason you can't run them as a user...

You could always just do use sudo or something....maybe...don't actually know if that'd work....

Try 'locate [command]' to find where it is and just run if from there.

For example, I know urpmi can only be run as root....I did 'locate urpmi', lotta results, one being /usr/sbin/urpmi....

[urza9814@Arochone ~]$ urpmi
bash: urpmi: command not found
[urza9814@Arochone ~]$ /usr/sbin/urpmi
urpmi version 4.7.15
Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Mandriva.
This is free software and may be redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPL

They might all be under /usr/sbin, I'm really not sure...just a bit of exploration on my part...hope it helps :)

Yes, but I need this program to run, its located in /usr/local/bin I tried permissions and stuff but it wont run. When I enter ra + rab it auto-completes but my user finds nothing, there are other programs in the same dir which my user does auto-complete.

I need to be able to run it without path, so I can use rar as a backend for graphical archivers....

edit: this is not true, i had some duplicates. So the question really should by how can I make my user look in /usr/local/bin like root can?

Edited by ffi

edit .bash_profile and add /usr/local/bin to your path:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export PATH

assuming PATH isn't being set and exported already in your .bash_profile - if it is, then just add :/usr/local/bin to the end of the PATH=$PATH:* line.

you could also allow all users to access /usr/local/bin by editing the file /etc/profile similarly.

edit .bash_profile and add /usr/local/bin to your path:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export PATH

assuming PATH isn't being set and exported already in your .bash_profile - if it is, then just add :/usr/local/bin to the end of the [/i]PATH=$PATH:*[/i] line.

Hmm, this in part worked, I can now access rar from command line but xarchiver still doesnt work. Maybe it needs to know the path too :s

Edited by ffi