nForce 430 (specifically Asus M2NPV-VM / 64-Bit)

Josh

So I just got Mandriva 2006 up and running, looks like most of my hardware was detected, even the SATA III drive. But my networking (sigh) does not work. I have the integrated Nvidia nForce 430 chipset that has a gigabit controller on there. I downloaded the appropriate drivers, but they are .run shell scripts and I have no clue what to do with these (total noob).

Any suggestions? I would also love to know what to do once the hardware is configured.

Thanks!

I got the drivers from nvidia. . .

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_...4_1.0-0310.html

I figured out how to run the shell script (./name of file)

Now I am running into the problem of the driver install package wants to recompile my kernel (scary!!!) and is looking for some source files?

Not really sure what that means or how I can help out the installer. . . it fails once it recognizes I don't have these source files.

Here's what the documentation says . . .

The installer contains pre-built drivers for major Linux distributions. In the event that the installer cannot find a pre-built driver for your kernel, the installer will attempt to build the driver. In this case, it is necessary to install the kernel source corresponding to the kernel for which the driver will be installed for.

My distro is Mandriva 2006 Discovery. . . not sure where I can find the source or where I should put it?

You will need to install the kernel source package before proceeding with the driver installation.

Software packages are installed using urpmi. Type mcc (from a terminal) to access the Mandrakelinux Control Center and then proceed to Software Management. See the link at the top of this web page to configure your system and look here for additional information: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=17480

On my Mandriva 2005 system, going to Control Center I see:

Release: 2.6.11-6mdk

This means I am running the 2.6.11-6 kernel. When I installed drivers for my video card, I also needed the kernel source package. I installed kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-6mdk using mcc.

so I need to have a NIC to install that has drivers that work?

Looks that way if there are no kernel source packages on the install CD's.

I am assuming you installed using 3 CD's? You might want to try installing using the Mandriva One DVD. This will also install Mandriva 2006, but it will be a more updated Mandriva 2006. Maybe this would allow your networking to be functional. I am just guessing here as I am a Mandriva 2005 user.

When urpmi is set up, you must define mirrors from which the downloads are made.

I took a look at my Mandriva 2005 mirrors (to get me started) and then went searching around for 64 bit Mandriva 2006 stuff in the neighborhood.

I THINK :unsure: this is your kernel source: kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.x86_64.rpm

This file is located at:

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distr...6_64/media/main

Does this help? Can you get to this file and download it?