Router query?

Guest Esskie

Guest Esskie

Hi,

Like everyone else with a USB ADSL modem I'm having no joy getting connected using Mandriva 2006 Free d/l edition, am I correct in saying it's v10.1?.

My modem is the SpeedTouch 330 and I have placed the following files from Alcatel SpeedTouch USB Management application into a speedtouch directory 2 levels into my usr dir (sorry about not having the exact path to hand),

ChangeLog

iface.h

INSTALL

LICENSE

Makefile

mgmt.o

speedtch.usermap

speedtouch

VERSION (which is 1.3.4 btw)

In the INSTALL file there is mention of a How-To at How-To at sourceforge.org but I must have been through it a 100 times trying a different setting here & there eachtime with still no luck :unsure: .

I've spotted a Router which I would use to connect another system to the net if I were to have it so it wouldn't be bought entirely on the grounds of getting me online using Linux (although that's my main objective).

Here is the nfo on the router;

• Built-in ADSL modem

• 4 IEEE 802.3 10/100Mbps ethernet ports for LAN connection

• 125Mbps IEEE 802.11g+ WiFi technology

• 54Mbps IEEE 802.11g technology

• IEEE 802.11b compatible

• ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ supported

• Quality of service function (QoS)

• Stateful packet inspection (SPI) firewall

• Comprehensive firewall & security unction

• VPN pass through (IPsec, PPTP)

• WIN98 and upwards, Linux, MAC

• All Digital Loop ADSL upgradeable

• DMZ and Port range forwarding function provided

• Quick installation Wizard Software provided

• Transmission rate up to 8Mbps downstream and 1Mbps upstream

• UPnP NAT Traversal & Device Identification supported

• USB Interface & Console Port (Optional)

• Web-based interface for easy configuration

(sorry if theres too much nfo, I just copied & pasted ;) )

It's an ADDON GWAR3000 11b/g 125Mbps ADSL Wireless Broadband Modem Router with a built-in ADSL modem as you will no doubt have spotted by now,

------------

Buildin Firewall with NAT, Packet Filtering, content Filtering

Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall

Deny of service (DoS) protection

Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) Management Utility

VPN pass through (IPsec, PPTP)

ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ Supported

Transmission rate upto 8Mbps downstream and 1Mbps upstream

Comprehensive Firewall & Security Function

PAP, CHAP & MS-CHAP authentication methods

------------

Is it likely that the implimentation of something like this would sort out my linux/usb modem connection problem/s?, I've read that a router is an easy option for *nix users with USB modem trubz.

Would it be possible to use this router's built-in DSL modem instead of the SpeedTouch 330?

Could it be configured to allow one system net access using *nix & the SpeedTouch while having another system connect using the router's o/board modem?

Ideally a setup that will allow me net access using linux & XP Pro (dual-boot) with one system, net access/sharing from system-2 with probably just XP Pro installed on it, file sharing & lan gaming between both PCs/systems but with room to add extra PCs to the network at a later date?.

I hope I've managed to convey my hopes or intentions clearly enough,

Any help or advice will be really appreciated,

Regards, Andy.

Is it likely that the implimentation of something like this would sort out my linux/usb modem connection problem/s?, I've read that a router is an easy option for *nix users with USB modem trubz.
Yes it would. The router would establish the connection to the service provider and farm it out to all the computers connected to it with DHCP or fixed addresses. Very simple and elegant solution :P But consider getting a router that is compatible with your modem, so instead of using an internal modem, it uses PPPoE to use your existing modem (if supported) - that should save you some money.

Would it be possible to use this router's built-in DSL modem instead of the SpeedTouch 330?
Of course :)

Could it be configured to allow one system net access using *nix & the SpeedTouch while having another system connect using the router's o/board modem?
Hmmm.... probably not - but why would you want to do that?

Ideally a setup that will allow me net access using linux & XP Pro (dual-boot) with one system, net access/sharing from system-2 with probably just XP Pro installed on it, file sharing & lan gaming between both PCs/systems but with room to add extra PCs to the network at a later date?.
This is exactly what it will provide. The router will provide net access to all the machines connected to it. The specific router you mention has 4 Ethernet (cable) ports and wireless. So you could connect four machines (with any OS) to it using ethernet cabling and a lot more using wireless connections. All the computers connected to it will be able to communicate using TCP/IP.

The router/dsl modem should allow you to do this. The router would manage the connection, and you'd just connect over wireless for your internet access.

You'd have to logon to the router with a webpage and configure it with your isp details such as username, password, etc. At least this is how they usually work. I'm not familiar with this model but assume the same.

My D-LINK has USB as well, but you won't be able to use both at the same time.

Guest Esskie

Hi there,

Thanx for all the nfo both of you, very helpfull indeed :) .

Soulse, you mentioned getting a router thats compatable with my modem in order to save some ££, can you explain a bit more please?. I have 3 x 3Com 905 10/100 NICs here with both BNC and RJ45 connections so I'm good for network cards.

ianw1974, Okay that's no problem. Similiar to logging on as admin to a remote server type of thing?.

(Btw, had a look at your page & like the CBR600F but sorry to hear about what happened, hope you weren't too badly hurt. I have an 89 ZXR750H1 which is a lot of fun.)

The router is kind of a last resort tbh as I've been 'playin' with the SpeedTouch 330 & Mandriva 2006 Free DVD d/l edition with no joy. I did seem to make a small advance when I placed the mgmt.o file etc onto the system.

It's stopped asking for these files now anyway when attempting to setup the 330/net access via HardDrake anyway!?! lol!.

I shall boot into MDK & take note of the path to the location of the modem setup files:

Makefile

mgmt.o

speedtch.usermap

speedtouch

etc, and post back.

Regards, Andy.

Only slightly, broken scaphoid bone in hand and concussion which took 9 weeks to half heal the break. Bike was write-off, but I can always buy another if allowed by the wife ;)