Abiword and SCIM [solved]

Guest xuan

hi everyone

I'm embarrassingly new to linux, and so if any of you can point my way on this one, I would be most appreciative. I run Mandriva 2006 with KDE, and I really need to be able to type Japanese, or I have to go back to windows. I read in several places that SCIM doesn't work with OpenOffice, so I tried to see if it would with Abiword....

which lead to problems. There are a bunch of depencies that I need that ultimately boils down to libenchant.so.1, and I can't seem to get it working, because it tells me that is dependent on libenchant1[==1.1.5], and I can't seem to get anywhere after that.

Here's my question: Can someone tell me how either

1. Deal with abiword depencies so i can check to see if SCIM will work

2. Tell me whether SCIM works with abiword

3. Tell me a way I can get scim to work on OO

4. Tell me a method of typing japanese on decent wordpro

thanx

Add a contrib repository with the instructions from Easy URPMI. To do this you will need to open a terminal (aka Konsole) and type in the command:

su

I will then ask for a password, this password is the password you set up for root during installation. When you type it in, note that there will be no indication that you are entering it (no *'s or anything) - just type it and press enter. Once you are root, copy and paste the command that Easy URPMI gives you to add the repository.

Then, open Mandriva Control Center (aka "Configure My Computer"), go under Software Management to Install Software and search for:

libenchant1-devel

And install the package that appears. You if you have further questions or problems just post them here.

Oh, and welcome to MUsB ;)

• 4 weeks later...

tyme,

Thank you for the advice, the simple explanation (sorry to make be so pedantic)... and sorry for the late reply.

Your advice worked, and I can type in Japanese with SCIM in Abiword.

??????????????????

Your advice worked, and I can type in Japanese with SCIM in Abiword.

??????????????????

Congratulations! :D Maybe you can type it, but I don't think MUB can display it! :P

Or is it just my machine that displays it as question marks? :unsure: