NForce2 chipped mainboard... (solved)

Hi all,

very nice forum here! Maybe someone can help me on this topic:

ATM I'm trying to get this kernel (2.6.18-rc1.2) running 66Mhz instead of 33Mhz on the PCI/IDE bus. Actually, hoping the new sources would support my Jetway N2PAP Ultra board, but no way. BIOS version is A10 (up to date). The documentation says I could set a kernel option: "idebus=66" when starting, but it won't work. After bootup /var/log/kernel/warnings there's always the following entries:

Jul 13 08:50:28 radon kernel: NFORCE2: BIOS didn't set cable bits correctly. Enabling workaround.

Jul 13 08:50:28 radon kernel: NFORCE2: BIOS didn't set cable bits correctly. Enabling workaround.

Jul 13 08:50:28 radon kernel: NFORCE2: User given PCI clock speed impossible (66000), using 33 MHz instead.

Any ideas please?

Kind Regards,

Scoonma

Edited by scoonma

Have you checked the BIOS config to make sure it's set to allow 66MHz? Just a passing thought.

It was not the BIOS settings, but me not yet being fit enough to make a proper kernel. ;-) The sources strongly suggested to build the proper ide-module fix into the kernel, when booting from an ide drive. I was trying to do that, but also included generic IDE built-in, not as a module. Now generic support is only accessible as a module - and hooray: it works! (First time I've not only managed to build a working kernel, but also an actually usable one. :-)

Greetings,

Scoonma