SpeedTouch 330 in Mandriva 2006

Clitheroe

Hello, everyone.

Well, I thought I'd finally cracked it (after many attempts of trying as a Linux newbie) and was going to get my SpeedTouch 330 working in Mandriva 2006.

Here's the script I ran for your thoughts on what might have gone wrong. I would really appreciate any help, thanks:

Password:

[root@virgin david]# dir

autosave Download speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006

benefitstrapgermany.doc mgmt.o speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006.tar.gz

David's\ Documents Music speedtouch-firmware_0.3012k_all.deb

Desktop ogg tmp

Documents Pictures Video

[root@virgin david]# tar xzvf speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006.tar.gz

speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006/

speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006/po/

speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006/po/C/

Then there are long lines of 'speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006' etc. that just go on repeating themselves for quiet a while before we get to:

© Steve Parker, 17 Oct 2002 - 2005 (http://steve-parker.org)

speedtouchconf comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type:

./speedtouchconf.sh -gpl

This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it

under certain conditions.

See the included file COPYING for more details.

* speedtouchconf.sh by Steve Parker *

* http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net/ *

* based on speedtouch.sourceforge.net project *

If you have any problems with this script, mail me

(steve at steve-parker dot org) with the files

/tmp/speedtouch.txt and (possibly) /var/log/messages for diagnosis.

Linux kernel version 2.6 okay.

/home/david/speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006

* Please select your ISP Settings *

Country/ISP VPI VCI

Belgium, ? 8 35

Denmark, Orang 8 35

France, Wanadoo 8 35

France, ? 8 67

Italy, ? 8 35

Netherlands, ? 8 48

Netherlands 0 35

Poland (NeoStrada) 0 35

UK, Any 0 38

Austria (AON) 8 48

US, BellSouth 8 35

Singapore Pacificnet 0 100

Please type your VPI VCI numbers (eg, 0 38 for UK)

0 38

Please enter your ISP Login ID (eg another@hg1.btinternet.com)

david.hardcastle@adsl.virgin.net

Please enter your ISP Password

blackpig1

Settings:

VPI / VCI : 0 / 38

Login : david.hardcastle@adsl.virgin.net

Password : MY PASSWORD

Are these correct? (Y/N)

y

No further user interaction is required.

Configuring SpeedTouch Driver...

Software Configuration - SUCCESS

Building SpeedTouch Driver...

Software Build - SUCCESS

Installing SpeedTouch Driver...

Software Installation - SUCCESS

Creating ppp files in /etc/ppp

You can ignore any insmod hints here...

2.6.12-12mdk

*** Configuration finished. Starting the connection ***

Sun Jul 9 16:08:02 BST 2006

The modem lights should start flashing for approx. 60 seconds...

You might see some messages about USBDEVFS_BULK failed - you can ignore this.

Sun Jul 9 16:08:02 BST 2006

The modem_run command failed (code 235)

modem_run results:

Mutex value not OK

FAILED because of modem_run error 235

[root@virgin speedtouchconf-27-Jun-2006]# Jul 9 16:08:03 virgin hald[3113]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 944. Rebasing to 974

And that's as far as the script gets. Can anyone think of what might be wrong? I'm assuming I have the right microcode in ' mgmt.o' , but I'm not entirely sure. Any thoughts/help on this matter would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave. :mellow:

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Clitheroe

Please note that I am a newbie so take the following as you wish.

I too had problems getting my Speedtouch 330 working. I use a USB connection, I assume yours is the same.

The only system I have managed to get it to work with is Mandriva 2005 or 2006. Currently I use 2006. I tried Susie, Debian, Damn small linux, Fedora.....etc. all no go.

I downloaded the tar from Steve Parker's site (speedtouchconf-?????.tar.gz. This unzipped OK as per instructions from Steve. As for the microcode part you have to go elsewhere. After much messing around with the wrong files I tried with rev4fw.zip ( links from Steve's site I believe). But before I ran the install script again I followed Steve's advice and:-

1.Cleaned my installation by running his remove script ( I had run install several times already so needed a clean sheet )

2 Went into "Remove Software" option from the System/Configuration/Packaging menu and removed the Mandriva installed speedtouch routines. You may well have some installed as well and they just get in the way, remove them.

3 Rebooted and started again.

(Make sure you have the microcode file copied into the speedtouchconf???? directory that gets created after you unzip the tar. See Steve'sinstructions)

hey presto after this installation it worked. This time I got beyond the error message section of Steve's script and the green lights flashed for about 1 min as they are supposed to. And I was online. I too had previously had these error messages (235,245 etc) and had written to Steve for advice. His advice was as above. I seem to remember that these error messages indicate microcode problems, but I could be wrong as I didn't write it all down.

I put my problem down to the microcode I had originally used. It was the wrong one. Unfortunately as my Speedtouch is coloured black I went for the microcode for black boxes...wrong! I needed the code for the grey modems! I believe that you can query you modem to find out which type it is, but I have no information as to how this is done. My advice is don't go by its colour.

Since I have got it working I have been very pleased with it. Steve Parker was a great help and replies to emails almost by return, very kind of him.

I had almost given up with Linux as a result of my experience since I had a link running from XP with 10 mins of getting the Speedtouch out of the box. But, I'm very pleased that I persevered, through the problem I learnt a little and best of all got involved with the forum. I cannot remember the last time I used XP online!...that must say something. So please persevere, it can be done, myself and others can testify to that. And I don't forget that I am a newbie.

I'm off line for a break over the next week so will not be able to reply further just at the moment.

I trust the above is helpful.

Steve's site is http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/ where you will find instructions, links to files (tars etc) and some example printouts of his scripts running. I printed the lot out to have as reference.

Kindest regards

Laidback