Can't play audio CD's

bigjohn

I can't play audio cd's

I have a soundblaster 5.1 digital card

I can get system sounds, If I try kscd, it can see that there is a disc in there but even though it looks like it's playing, there is no sound output.

My PC has 2 devices capable of playing cd's, the dvd player, but mandrake insists on calling it CDROM and a cdrw, which mandrake insist on calling it CDROM2.

When I was trying earlier, I can put the disc in "CDROM- the dvd player" and it show it playing with out audio output. If I put the disc into "CDROM2 - the cdrw", I can get sound by prossing the cdrw front panel buttons, but it just shows as being no disc in the drive.

I appreciate that this may be to do with the sound card/mobo being plugged into the cdrw, presumably, I have to get the kscd looking at the cdrw - CDROM2.

How do I make it do this?

Or do you have anyother ideas how I can audio cd output please?

Oh and the suggestion of enabling the cd player plugin for xmms and then just pointing the playlist at the cdrw (basically whats in the tips n tricks section) doesn't work.

regards

John

p.s. the mandrake install can see the sound card but wants to call it SBLive!, and it loads up the emu10k driver.

What happens if you plug headphones into both of the drives? My first instinct is that either you don't have an analog audio cable running from your drive to your MB, or your easiest solution would be to switch the drive the cable is connected to.

I dont have any headphones available to try.

As far as one of the devices being cabled, I can put a disc in the cdrw (CDROM2) and it will play an audio disc from the front panel - which suggests that it is connected to the soundcard/mobo (dont recall which)

regards

John

I agree that the most obvious solution would be the audio cables not being plugged in. Also worth checking is the volume levels and mutes. MDK for some strange reason mutes all the channels on my machine when I install it.

When you say the Xmms tip doesn't work, what exactly do you mean? The standard Xmms CD plugin won't work without the CD audio cables. You can download a digital play-back plugin, that doesn't need/use the audio cable. This method works alot better on my machine but takes longer to setup.

The xmms tip/trick doesn't seem to work, because I tried it. Though in truth just because my sound card is a 5.1 digital, I haven't the faintest idea whether it is providing analogue or digital output (just sound like music to me:lol: - but as I've only got a crappy pair of desktop speakers at the moment is don't suppose it really matters).

And I have already tried the volume levels trick, they distort the speakers to hell and back! (that's the kmix volume i'm refering to - is there something else that could be muted?)

regards

John