LCD Monitors

AussieJohn

add an init.d script on boot to detect whether the system is docked, then adapt the correct Xorg config, or configure acpid to modify the X config file on boot.

to dynamically change it, you could write a script for the acpid daemon to run when a docking event occurs, that calls xrandr to resize the screen.

It's possible, but not the sorta thing a distro will setup for you, because it's such a ridiculously corner case, that I doubt anyone has ever even considered implementing it. But the infrastructure IS there (acpid & init) to use and implement it yourself.

James

Could you please advise how do I detect whether the laptop is docked?

As for switching resolutions on the fly, I tried running xrandr and got an error message: Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0". Don't know what that means...

I'd say, switching between the laptop screen and an external display/projector should be routinely supported - both VGA and DVI should work. Under Windows I can use the Fn+F7 combination to switch between the internal and external LCDs or use both at the same time. Under Linux, I can only use one at a time, and the Fn+F7 combination does not function.