found net interface lo, but blacklisted [solved]

klipp

I'm trying to do a network install from a machine on my LAN that has done this install procedure several times successfully before, now it gets as far as "sending DHCP request..." and stalls out. The log (Alt-F3) says it found interfaces eth0,eth1,ra0 and lo, but lo is "blacklisted, looks like this is what's preventing the install. Four other machines on the LAN do "Net installs" without problems!

Anyone have any ideas on what I've screwed up? Thanks

Sounds to me like it's unable to get DHCP for some reason. Are you sure it's because loopback is blacklisted?

Try allocating a static IP address to your ethernet card you are trying to use and assign the default gateway and DNS server entries and see if you can get it working this way. If you can, then it suggests a DHCP problem.

I use all static address's on the LAN, but tried letting DHCP get the address, and that didn't work either.

lo being "blacklisted" has nothing todo with the problem, its "blacklisted" when I run the network install from other boxes also.

the last entry in <Alt-F3> is DHCP: Sending Discover, then a bunch of <sleep>'s before it craps out with a "No DHCP reply received" error.

On the other machines DHCP: sending Discover is immeadiatly followed by DHCP: Sending Request then "got network xxxx" Gateway, DNS etc!

I re-installed DHCP but that didn't help either. I can't think of anything else to try, other than physically removing the Eth1 & Ra0, but neither one of them are being used.

Thanks for the help "ianw1974" got any other idea's?

The only other time I've noticed network problems is with Realtek 8139 cards, and you have to disable apic to get it to work. You can do this before booting the install with:

linux noapic

and see if that works. Also, it's worth checking /etc/modprobe.conf and disabling ipv6 because this also sometimes causes problems. You usually have to add:

alias net-pf-10 off

to /etc/modprobe.conf and that sometimes helps too. Although this one is somewhat difficult from a non-running system that is being booted from a CD because it takes the /etc/modprobe.conf from here, which of course, is not editable. Unless you have an ISO editor program, then you can edit the CD and this specific file.