Auto login to Virtual terminal?

I've found the script qlogin and tried it, but can't get it to work. It just sends a long meaningless string to the login on the virtual terminal, something like

;omar@omar.serenity.home;omarblahblah Password:

I've tried modifying it and can't get it to do more than that. I've read man page after manpage....open, login, getty, mgetty, etc and can't figure out how to do this. I wouldn't even mind having my password in plain text in a script that is autorun at login to X. What I want it for is that I have an icon in my taskbar (Gnome) for wvdial to run in a VT like this:

open -c 4 wvdial

and I have to be logged in to that vt for it to work. I'm just trying to automate that login process so I don't have to go Ctrl-Alt-F4 (login) Ctrl-Alt-F10 (run wvdial).

TIA

Not sure (not sure at all) what are you trying to do (never used wvmdial), but the first thing you might know is that "open" has to be run by root unless you own that VT. So maybe you might want to run that command with sudo (or any other secure approach).

And please forget to put your password in plain text in a script!!!!!!!

open -c 2 wvdial

is running wvdial in the VT tty2 (but you know that) and it works if I, omar, am logged into that VT when I, omar, run 'open -c 2 wvdial'

All I'm asking how to do is have that tty autologin when I reboot (I have dual boot). There is a program called qlogin that is supposed to do exactly that, but it doesn't work on my setup for some reason. I guess it's not possible. Thanks, anyway. :-)

If you want to have allways vwdial on boot, why dont you lauch it from /etc/inittab:

2:35:respawn:/path/to/wvmdial tty2

(run "init q" and "init u" to re-run init w/o rebooting and kill the process running at tty2)

again forgive my ignorance on wvmdial :wink:

Well, I decided to do it a little different. I decided to make my wvdial command on modem_lights just 'wvdial &' to run it in the background. I was trying to run it on a different VT because my video card already shares an IRQ with my modem and I didn't want wvdial also being an extra process running in the background on X, but we'll try this to see how it goes.

Basically, wvdial runs in the terminal and starts pppd, so if I just put the command as 'wvdial', it would open a console on the desktop, which I couldn't kill because it would kill the process....something I didn't want.