Cant access certain site...any ideas

red

Hi folks, my MNF 8.2 system is still plugging along and I am still pleased with its performance and capability. However I have run into a pretty peculiar problem and I am hoping someone may have some insight.

Here is the problem.

I have 3 web hosting accounts with the same host provider (who it is doesnt matter). 2 of the sites (site 1 and site 2 for reference) are hosted at the same IP address, and I am assuming on the same physical server. The 3rd site (site3) is hosted at a different IP address and so assumed to be a different physical box.

I have been trying to add some specialized .asp code to the pages on site1 for the past few days. FREQUENTLY uploading pages, removing and updating scripts etc. Now I was very active on the site and my code seemed to cause some serious stabiltiy and performance issues at teh site while I was working on them.

Lo and behold, sometime early yesterday afternoon, site1 and site2 became unavailable to me. I cannot access either via ftp, FrontPage, or with ANY web browser from ANY system behind my firewall (the MNF 8.2 box). ALL other web browsing, gaming, e-mail, ftp etc works for any and all sites I try, even site3 which is hosted by the same host company, but on a different ip/server.

I shut down the firewall and connected one of the systems directly to my cable modem, and I can access site1 and site 2 just fine. When this system connected, it did receive a different IP address than the MNF box had. Reconnecting the MNF box and putting all systems back behind it results in the inability to access those to sites again. I might add that I have a dynamic IP address from my ISP but the MNF box managed to pull the same IP it had prior to being shut down.

So far I have tried those things mentioned above, and the following:

-Clearing web browser cache on all machines

-Clear and rebuild the Squid web proxy cache

-Disable Squid altogether

-Disable Prelude IDS...which oddly enough shows scan attempts from the IP address of the 2 sites I cannot access, happening just prior to the problem.

-opened up an all ports access rule to the IP address of the web server

-Shutdown and reconfigured the caching DNS on the MNF box

-Rebooted the MNF box numerous times.

All attempts have resulted in the same behavior. I cannot reach site1 or site2 at that host. Site3 is always aaccessible as is all other internet traffic through my MNF box.

I didn't see any kind of option that would automatically block traffic from an IP address that attempts multiple scans, nor do I see any specific errors when the sites don't load.

If Squid is running, I receive thsi message,

"While trying to retrieve the URL: http://<site1 or site2 here>

The following error was encountered:

Connection Failed

The system returned:

(110) Connection timed out

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again."

If squid is not running i receive the generic "Page cannot be displayed" message.

I do not see anything in any of the logs that show traffic to/from this site is blocked.

I am not convinced it has to do with my firewall, but I must search all possibilities at this time. I do believe my IP address somehow became blocked at the web host's end.

Is there a log file I missed, something I should check? Is here any way for me to force the MNF box to grab a different IP address which will help support or disprove the idea that my IP may be blocked at the host?

Thanks a bunch,

RED

Ummmm....yes I have. Hence the reason for asking if I missed something in teh original post. The fact that I have looked at log files, doesn't mean I have seen ALL of the log files that could possibly have the information I am looking for.

I do not see anything in any of the logs that show traffic to/from this site is blocked.....Is there a log file I missed, something I should check

Thanks

RED