When one app is using sound, other apps halt

ffrr

Example. I am playing a movie (mpg file) using gxine. If new mail arrives and Thunderbird tries to play the new mail sound, it can't and freezes until I close gxine. I have also experienced K3B not being able to play it's 'success' trumpet call. When I close gxine, the sound that was waiting to be played, then proceeds to play.

Is there anything that I can do to allow multiple apps to make sounds at the same time?

Are you using Mandriva 2006 and if so are you fully updated?

Yes, it's Mandriva 2006, but as to fully updated? That's hard to answer because Thunderbird, for example, is MORE than fully updated. I had to get the 1.5 version from elsewhere because Mandriva haven't kept up. Still there's other things in the system that I haven't updated - mainly because I find updates sometimes break more than they fix, so if a program is working fine, I might tend to leave it alone, unless the update carries features I need badly. Then there's the stuff that is installed to support programs like MythTV, that probably is never considered to be part of Mandriva.

So, all that said, is there something I particularly should update that relates to the sound problem I described?

I was thinking about system updates. If you attempt to update via the MCC, it will list packages that are in need of updating. Perhaps one of them is alsa related?

I don't know for sure as I am a 2005 user.

If you update using urpmi and the MCC, you shouldn't have any problem breaking things.

Are you using KDE?

If so, it's probably an issue with the aRTs sound daemon, try checking the configuration in offended programs to make sure it's using ALSA (or maybe OSS) and not aRTs

Are you using KDE?

If so, it's probably an issue with the aRTs sound daemon, try checking the configuration in offended programs to make sure it's using ALSA (or maybe OSS) and not aRTs

You solved it!! I have no idea what Thunderbird uses, nor how to change it, but I set KDE to use ALSA (instead of OSS) and gxine to use ALSO also, now they both play together nicely (pun intended :-))

Thanks heaps.

I was thinking about system updates. If you attempt to update via the MCC, it will list packages that are in need of updating. Perhaps one of them is alsa related?

I don't know for sure as I am a 2005 user.

If you update using urpmi and the MCC, you shouldn't have any problem breaking things.

tyme solved it (see below), no updates needed.

btw: I think MCC and URPMI update much more than the 'system' (whatever that is - kernel, xwindows, KDE, gnome, all packages supplied by Mandiva, packages supplied by other repositories - the lot) and, trust me, ANY update, to ANY software, stands a more than reasonable chance of breaking things that are currently working. I would warn against willy nilly updating everything in sight.

Updates just applies updates. If you do:

urpmi --auto-select

you will get more than just updates.

If you do:

urpmi --updates --auto-select

then you'll just get updates. Kernel needs to be updated manually, it's not done automatically.

Yes, but updates to what? I thought it was updates to every package you had installed, both in the initial installation and since. That's the last thing I'd want - to update everything with no thought as to the consequences.

No matter, it's fixed now - without updating anything.

Updates to whatever is available for update on your system :P

Sure, you don't have to apply the updates if you don't want to. Then nothing is likely to break. However, make sure your internet connection is secured, no ports are opened to gain access to your machine. Otherwise, things like sshd will be compromised and your machine will be hacked.

If you go into updates, you can see exactly what will be updated whenever the updates are available. I've never had updates break my system. But, that doesn't mean it's not possible :P