console couldn't open

dmzeplin

First of all, I upgrade KDE 3.5.3-10 and apparently, it went great.. However, I noticed when booting up the system by verbose and I can see that "Kernel Source 2.6.12-1mdk not installed and can't install this mode".

When I went on "Configure Your Desktop", and I can see the kernel is there??? :speechless: Big problem, is that I can't control Xconsole anymore since it says "console couldn't open"

So, I found the other topic about console couldn't open, which it linked me to this,

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...uldn't+open

Here is the list that I found by RXvt,

Type: 
ls -l /dev/console
crw--------  1 myusername root 5, 1 Jun 24 /dev/console

And I am not sure if that is normal? Because I really don't understand what or how to solve from above the link.

I believe if I solve kernel's problem and should make console operate well...

FYI, I tried /var/log/messages as root, it would not let me open it either....
Edited by dmzeplin

OK, thanks for removing it.

The message you get at the beginning is about missing "kernel-source", not "kernel". Without kernel being installed your system wouldn't start at all, of course.

Apparently you've installed something which needs to build+load a new module at startup, but cannot do that because kernel-source is missing.

What's the output of

uname -a

under xterm?

I see nothing too bad about xconsole, I'm also getting "couldn't open console" when trying to open it without the -file argument. Do other types of terminals ( e.g. konsole, xtrem ) open normally?

What's the output of

uname -a

under xterm?

uname -aOutput is:
Linux localhost 2.6.12-12mdk #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005 i686 Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1500MHz unknown GNU/Linux

I start to thinking you were right about kernel-source is missing due to unknown GNU/Linux?? Guess I need to go back ICEWM and remove kernel-source for some specific name and reinstall??

I see nothing too bad about xconsole, I'm also getting "couldn't open console" when trying to open it without the -file argument. Do other types of terminals ( e.g. konsole, xtrem ) open normally?

I believe I don't have xtrem and or konsole... since I only see RXvt (in Kmenu "Terminal") and Xconsole (in Kmenu "Monitor"). RXvt open normally.... I don't know if RXvt is similiar with knosole or xtrem? Because I don't see any knosole or xtrem...

Thank for your time and appreciate..

It's xterm, not xtrem

konsole is the default terminal for kde

Please try under a root console (provided that you have inserted to your system the easyurpmi repositories, at the top of this page):

urpmi kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk (it's quite big, a bit over 40 MB)

See after installing that and rebooting if the message goes away.

You could also look for a newer kernel and kernel-source from the official updates. Newest kernel revision in there is 2.6.12-22.

Edited by scarecrow

It's xterm, not xtrem

konsole is the default terminal for kde

Please try under a root console (provided that you have inserted to your system the easyurpmi repositories, at the top of this page):

urpmi kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk (it's quite big, a bit over 40 MB)
See after installing that and rebooting if the message goes away.

You could also look for a newer kernel and kernel-source from the official updates. Newest kernel revision in there is 2.6.12-22.

it said the package is already installed. the following name kernel-source 2.6?? Guess I might need to urpme kernel-source??

then reinstall with newest if possible:

urpmi kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk Hope that helps?

If you install kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk then you should also install a matching kernel from /updates, to make any good usage of it.

Most suitable for your system, if you have 1GB of RAM or less, seems to be

kernel-2.6.12.22mdk-1-1mdk

Upgrading your kernel is genrally recommended- just keep the old one, in case something goes wrong with the updated one, and don't forget to configure LILO (via Mandriva Control Center) after the installation, so now it will boot by default the new kernel.

Edited by scarecrow

If you install kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk then you should also install a matching kernel from /updates, to make any good usage of it.

Most suitable for your system, if you have 1GB of RAM or less, seems to be

kernel-2.6.12.22mdk-1-1mdk

Upgrading your kernel is genrally recommended- just keep the old one, in case something goes wrong with the updated one, and don't forget to configure LILO (via Mandriva Control Center) after the installation, so now it will boot by default the new kernel.

I have tried some of them. Verbose showed me that kernel not installed and can't be installed.... I wanted to ask you 2 questions that I might not have installed properly to upgrade from 3.4 to 3.5... What I did the sequence from grendal's explaination:

Code:

rpm -e --nodeps kdevelop

then to reinstall:

Once you have the source added it's probably best to perform the following commands:

Code:

urpmi kdebase

Code:

urpmi kdeutils kdeaddons kdeaccessibility kdegames kdegraphics

Code:

urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file kdebase-kdm

[/code]

Look at red fonts in code; I start to thinking about kdeartwork, kdeadmin, kdenetwork, and kdepim that I saw other site... I tried urpmi those and they have not installed in my system yet... what are those funtion?

Hope ring any bell? Thanks again for your time

Apparently, my system is running well even though verbose showed Kernel is not install, it can't be installed when boot up.... Although the Kernel-2.6.12mdk-1-1mdk and Kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk are on my MCC system (Software Package Removal.... I am also on Lilo with graphic menu in bootloader as well...

I will just put it aside for now until big problem come up... Back to Xconsole... I found Console that working well when I click console icon AT MCC in system menu.... But Why do I still get "couldn't open console" when I use from Kmenu in Montior menu... I am not sure how to fix it??

Many thanks scarecrow for giving me different defined... I appreciate your time... and hope to solve xconsole since you already had before... huh?