how to add support for a new Language?

ahmad

Language support is at different levels, you can for instance use KDE in whatever language but when you switch back to a CLI prompt it will be in the original language.

I am sure there are a few good wiki's about on this but if you have broadband and lots of disk space the easiest is just do a search on -<iso code for lang> in the package manager and install anything that looks useful.

Some things like right to left language support for Arabic, Hebrew etc. also have a few extra's to track down...

Finally you add the option at boot like lang=fr in the boot manager (lilo or grub)

it depends how far you want to go on the language, many people prefer the CLI in English and the GUI in their mother tongue for instance.

su -c "urpmi locales-{put.your.language.code.here}"

After that, enter MCC for basic configuration. If your new naguage is not fully ASCII comiliant, tick on the MCC module the "advanced" box and pick "use unicode by default" as a choice.

Edited by scarecrow

RESOLVED......

but .. i still can't ADD my language...

now system is reading it perfectly...

but i need to add it to writ with it...

i have only 2 olangueges to add..

both are Eng!

how to expend this list?

cause i need 2 more langs?

thanks

You can use a few options:

1. Use mcc/hardware/keyboard to add extra keyboard layouts. This has the advantage being applicable under any desktop.

2. Via the kcontrol language module. Fiarly easy, but it won't work nicely in some programs that don't have KDE intergration, e.g. Firefox, OpenOffice.

3. Editing by hand /etc/X11/xorg.conf - virtually it does the same as the keyboard module of mcc does.

I use method 3 (makes me feel more confident), but you can pick whatever you like best.

RESOLVED......

but .. i still can't ADD my language...

See my first post....

If its in KDE then you need the KDE -18i files for the languages which also add keyboard support etc.

If its the CLI then you need to specify in the boot options.

Remember linux is multiuser so its at different levels .. its quite possible to boot up into the CLI in Arabic and have Gnome profiles in Breton and Catalan have KDE users in Yiddish, Xhosa and Zambezi and then have firefox in "Elmer Fudd" OK not sure that possible but the rest is ... additionally OpenOffice etc has its own locales as well.

If you can be more specific then we can try and provide info to specifics :D