saa7134 module Mandriva 2006

klipp

The default saa7134 module in Mandriva 2006 won't display TV with the cards that use this module. XAWTV comes up with a black screen with no video info. Using the 2.6.14.mm.7mdk is an improvement as using it lets XAWTV display a snowy video, and by switching between NTSC & PAL you can get a brief TV display of a cable TV channel and then it reverts to the snow once again. The TV card & tuner is correctly identified & installed, but channel scanning results in "no signal" responses for all channels.

Is there any saa7134 module for Mandriva available that works?

Thanks

Well, I got it working, Maybe what I went through will help someone else. Mandriva said my card was a "10Moons TV PCI card"! The box the card came in said it was a "Easy TV mpeg" with a phillips tuner & 7134 chip. As I stated above Mandriva detected these settings but the card responded as described above. 10Moons scared me as the name of a workable TV card (but it did function correctly in Windoz), so in desperation I plugged it into a different machine and booted it up using SuSE 10.0 which had a different vintage (newer) version of saa7134.ko --- TV worked!! Changing channels worked (kinda) SuSE detected the card the same as Mandriva, I was convinced it was a problem with saa7134 ---WRONG!! Turns out 10Moons cards are also marketed under the name of Sabrent (which uses a LG tuner! -- need I say more? Changing the tuner type to LG NSTC (Tape series) fixed everything and the cards works with both the Mandriva multimedia kernel as well as 2.6.12-12mdk. Apparantly the assembly line in China used the last Phillips tuner in the box and had another box full of LG tuners, so they installed them, after all, a tuner is just a tuner -- once you've seen one, you've seen them all, RIGHT?

Lesson learned! Before you blame the Linux driver, verify the tuner on you're card (peel the label off the tuner itself if you have to in order to identify it!) even though this will probably void the warranty.

I can't believe I bought a TV capture card named "10moons PCI TV Capture Card"!