Force settings to be saved to a ... [solved]

jagwah

What I am trying to do is run 2 different versions of Quake4, but my problem is that they both save my settings to the .quake4 folder in my home dirrectory, thus overwritting the settings from one version each time I play the other. So how can I/can I, force one version to store the files in another folder other than .quake4

What I have been doing is using a seperate user for each version, but if I could save logging in and out it would be good.

Edited by jagwah

I am not very familiar with quake 4, but does it have a configuration file (like the .ini files in UT 2003), maybe there you can modify the path ?

yes, it uses config files, but I don't think you can use them for that type of thing, I know Unreal games you could have your game assets stored in different locations, and have them referenced through the .ini files, but it's not like that for id's games. I read some command the other day, and I was under the impression that it was for telling Mandrive/Linux where to store things, but alas I can't find where I seen that, should remember to note things down, may not have been what I was looking for though.

Edited by jagwah

Got it sorted out thanks to e5150 over at 'Linuxquestions.org'

What I had to do was add a HOME variable in the quake4.sh file in the /usr/local/games/quake4/ directory. What I added was,

HOME=/home/username/.quake41.0.4

and that made a new folder called .quake41.0.4 in my /home directory, with it's own .quake4 folder inside containing it's own settings, so now I can run both versions with each storing it's stuff in separate folders.

Edited by jagwah