Need help setting up Squid Proxy - newb request

Guest intelligoth

Guest intelligoth

At the office, we use MS ISA Server 2000 on a Dell box that should have been retired ages ago. Yesterday the ISA connection spontaneoulsy decides that it's no longer going to accept any connections from our LAN. Hence, we're dead in the water as far as internet goes.

I have set up a Mandriva 2006 box and have it directly connected to our DSL line, but now I want to configure it as a Proxy so that our users can at least get on the web, and be able to check their POP mail from their local email client software.

I am not a network admin, he quit last month and everyone's running to me because "you're good with computers...". I'm a relative newb when it comes to Linux of any flavour. My exposure has been with installing Mandriva, and that's really about all. I would appreciate any assistance in getting a proxy up and running. The trick is to set the Linux box up with the same static IP addresses that the ISA box uses, and simply swap them out.

I've already installed a second LAN card in the Linux box, and used the Mandriva installer to put Drakwizard and Squid proxy on the box. Where I'm stuck is how to specify independent IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS for each individual LAN card, and how to configure Squid. One LAN card connects to our internal network, the other to our DSL modem.

Thanks in advance.

-Ed

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]